Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Carseat question - booster with lap belt only?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch, Annikki

Carseat question - booster with lap belt only?

Postby jaliv on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 pm

My dd has just moved into a booster (weight and height requirements are met). My mom has an older style vehicle with only lap belts in the backseat. I have been reading up on this on the ICBC and BCAA websites and read the following:

If no lap/shoulder belts is available, your child must be secured by a lap belt without a booster seat.
http://www.tsfbcaa.com/75.aspx

I am not comfortable with my dd not being in a booster. I am trying to decide if sitting in the front seat (no airbags) is better as it has a shoulder/lap belt. I need her carseat for my ds as I cannot afford another one but I do not want to jeopardize her safety. These things should be cheaper as they are a necessity!

Would you put her in the front seat with a booster or get another carseat for her trips with nanna?
jaliv
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Carseat question - booster with lap belt only?

Postby Annikki on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:52 pm

It's safer in the back seat for children under 12. I would do no booster in lap belt backseat. I wonder if you can ICBC or BCAA and ask what they would say?
Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jaliv on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Annikki wrote:It's safer in the back seat for children under 12. I would do no booster in lap belt backseat. I wonder if you can ICBC or BCAA and ask what they would say?

I took that quote directly from the BCAA website so I am assuming that they would say the same. I am just not comfortable with her being in no booster as she is just into a booster now (weight-wise).
jaliv
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby vixx on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 am

They don't want them in a booster when in a lap only belt as it sits across their thighs and therefore if the car was hit from behind or stopped abruptly the belt is not going to hold her and she will just pop right out and therefore more dangerous
vixx
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jackismine on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:24 am

Why is it you are uncomfortable with her not being in a booster seat with a lap belt? The sole purpose of a booster seat is to raise your child to a height where the shoulder belt is in a safe position. If there is no shoulder belt, it should not be an issue as long as your child is able to sit safely on her bum for the duration of the ride.
jackismine
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Angels 6 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

Personally I would keep her in the back in an extended 5 point booster seat.

From reading one of your previous posts, I'm guessing your daughter is 4 years old. 5 point car/booster seats are much safer than the regular booster seats. There are some 5 point booster seats available on the market that are suitable for children who out grow toddler seats like your daughter. My now 7 year old daughter uses a Graco Nautilus, which has the extended 5 point harness which can be used up to 65lbs, the booster part can be used up to 100lbs.

I recommend doing some research on the site: carseat.org, here is a review on the Nautilus from it:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... s%3Disch:1

They aren't that expensive either, I think I paid around $189.99 for mine from Walmart. Sometimes Zellers has them on for $159.99.

Good luck. :-D
Angels 6
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jaliv on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 am

jackismine wrote:Why is it you are uncomfortable with her not being in a booster seat with a lap belt? The sole purpose of a booster seat is to raise your child to a height where the shoulder belt is in a safe position. If there is no shoulder belt, it should not be an issue as long as your child is able to sit safely on her bum for the duration of the ride.

I don't think just a lap belt is safe in any situation and would feel better about her having that shoulder strap.

vixx wrote:They don't want them in a booster when in a lap only belt as it sits across their thighs and therefore if the car was hit from behind or stopped abruptly the belt is not going to hold her and she will just pop right out and therefore more dangerous

I understand why and I won't be putting her in the back with a booster.

Angels 6 wrote:They aren't that expensive either, I think I paid around $189.99 for mine from Walmart. Sometimes Zellers has them on for $159.99.

Unfortunately even that is too much for me at this point :(

I have her in a 5 point harness in my car but now that my ds is outgrowing his infant seat (in length), I need to use our extra for him, thus using my spare seat. I can't install her carseat from my car properly so I have to leave it in there and use the extra when she goes with nanna. We bought a booster without realizing that my mom's car had only lap belts. She will be 4 in December and we were given the "go ahead" from ICBC based on her height and weight (43 inches and 42 pounds).

I guess I will have to figure something out soon.

jaliv
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beany on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:34 pm

I was in a road check(for seat belts and child seats) on the Malahat a couple of years ago. My guy was in the back seat in a booster, lap belt only. They said he has to ride in the front with the seat as far back as possible.They said this is the only time they advocate children in the front as it is safer than without booster and in the back.This was an RCMP officer and she was very nice, positioning the front seat and getting him all set up in it. Any car with lap only in the back of course doesn't have airbags so that was not an issue.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I would ask the lovely ladies over at car-seat.org.

A Lap belt only is not safe for ANYONE ever.

A booster CANNOT be used with a lapbelt.

Your choices would be to either use a five point harness in the backseat (safest) or most likely a highback seatbelt positioning (the graco turbobooster is cheap and safe) in the front passenger seat with the seat pushed ALL the way back. The least safest would be your child in the back with just the lapbelt.

Is there any way you could trade your mom cars while she has your children?

And I didn't look to see how old your younger child is but the Cosco Scerena (walmart/zellers) is around $70 and you will be able to rearface your child until 35 lbs. So if you can keep your DD in her harnessed seat in your car then the Scerena is a good but cost efficiant way for you to get your youngest a new seat.
<insert witty phrase here>
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Wait, I didn't realize your DD was still under 4 years... Regardless of her height and weight she is still too young to legally go into a booster. The law is 4 years AND 40 lbs as the MINIMUM requirements.

Hopefully you can figure something out. Switching cars with your mom might be your best bet...
<insert witty phrase here>
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jaliv on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

brymommy wrote:Wait, I didn't realize your DD was still under 4 years... Regardless of her height and weight she is still too young to legally go into a booster. The law is 4 years AND 40 lbs as the MINIMUM requirements.

Apparently because she is over the height and weight restrictions, the move is safe as the law just stipulates over 40 pounds. Also, she is the size of a 4+ year old. I thought it was age 4 too but didn't hear that from anyone or see it anywhere online.

All that being said, she will not be using the booster and I will somehow get another seat for nanna's car. She won't drive my car because it has too many blind spots (she is quite short). :)

Taken from ICBC website: http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-d ... hild-seats

"Stage 3 — Booster seat
Booster seats ensure proper seatbelt fit. They raise
the child to correctly position the adult seatbelt
across the bony structures of the chest and pelvis.
It’s safest if a child remains in a booster seat until
they reach 145 cm (4’9”).
• Must be over 18 kg
(40 lbs).
• Required until at least
nine years old OR
145 cm (4’9”), whichever
comes first.
• Place in back seat.
• Booster is used with a
lap/shoulder seatbelt.
• Position lap belt low over hip bones and shoulder
belt over shoulder and in front of chest.
• Do NOT use a booster seat with only a lap belt."

jaliv
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mommedout on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:13 pm

brymommy wrote:The law is 4 years AND 40 lbs as the MINIMUM requirements..

This is incorrect brymommy - atleast here in BC. The only age mentioned in regards to a booster seat is the 9 years old stipulation (or the child hits 4'9" before their 9th birthday).

Technically if someone had a 40-pound 18 month old, that child could be in a booster seat legally (but many five-point harness car seats accommodate over 40 pounds) and are safer than simply a booster/shoulder&lap combo.
mommedout
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting