Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Lighthouse Christian Academy

A place to ask questions and share information on anything relating to
educating our children (and ourselves!).

Moderators: Keeper, kattnipp, Glowingtouch, Annikki

Lighthouse Christian Academy

Postby ProudParent on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 pm

My little girl is off to Kindergarten next year. Has anyone heard of Lighthouse Christian Academy? I have heard it is an awesome supportive family school. I was told they have small class sizes and dedicated teachers. Thoughts?
ProudParent
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Lighthouse Christian Academy

Postby dolce on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Our friends loved it
dolce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shereen on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 am

My daughter has attended LCA since kindergarten - she is now in Grade 4.
It is such a fantastic school. Small classes, the kids are taught to look out for one another, right from kindergarten to Grade 12.
The teachers are awesome, the students are taught values and compassion.
And the families and staff are incredibly supportive.
I definitely recommend Lighthouse!
Shereen
Shereen
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby trissysmommy on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

I have two children who attend LCA and we absolutely love it too! My third will be in Kindergarten next year. The school community is like a big family. The teachers are awesome and very dedicated. We are so thankful to be a part of it!
Nobody rises to low expectations :)
trissysmommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby bearjaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:00 am

Just found this thread and I live near Lighthouse, and like what I hear, but am not religious. Having said that, I went to a catholic private school for 3 years in elementary and it was by far my favourite school.

Any thoughts on child going to Lighthouse if not religious?
bearjaw
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby trissysmommy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi bearjaw, I don't believe you need to be religious to go to Lighthouse. Having said that, the values and teaching are Christian-based. Therefore, students do learn about the Bible and go to chapel once a week.
trissysmommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MommaToTwo on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

We are like the OP, in that our children will be entering school life, albeit in a couple of years time. We are so out of the school loop, that we have no clue what is what :lol:
Has anyone with children at LCA ever had their children talk to them about bullying occurring? One of the other schools we have been kicking around apparently has absolutely zero tolerance with it, so it never happens(according to DH's co-worker).
Do they offer home-ec? I did not see it on the list next to the teacher's names.
Do they wear uniforms? I noticed specific PE requirements, but i did not see anything about everyday wear.
And no laughing, but I was going through the supply lists, and I noticed that starting in grade 3 the students need to purchase a NIV Bible, and then later a NIV or NLT Bible. What the heck are those?
Most importantly, do they offer refresher classes for the parents who are old and out of school for so long that they are looking at the simple supply lists and feeling lost already? I swear I do not know what a lot of these supplies are. Does one go to a supply depot to get everything in one place? Does the school offer these items in pre-packaged bundles per grade to save the parents from searching? :lol:
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby trissysmommy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Has anyone with children at LCA ever had their children talk to them about bullying occurring? One of the other schools we have been kicking around apparently has absolutely zero tolerance with it, so it never happens(according to DH's co-worker).
Do they offer home-ec? I did not see it on the list next to the teacher's names.
Do they wear uniforms? I noticed specific PE requirements, but i did not see anything about everyday wear.
And no laughing, but I was going through the supply lists, and I noticed that starting in grade 3 the students need to purchase a NIV Bible, and then later a NIV or NLT Bible. What the heck are those?
Most importantly, do they offer refresher classes for the parents who are old and out of school for so long that they are looking at the simple supply lists and feeling lost already? I swear I do not know what a lot of these supplies are. Does one go to a supply depot to get everything in one place? Does the school offer these items in pre-packaged bundles per grade to save the parents from searching? :lol:

Hi, my kidlets have never mentioned much about bullying. The one time that a boy uttered "a threat" to my son - it was more in jest - the boy was taken aside and spoken to.

Yes, they do have foods class in the high school - they are also offering jewellry making, and a couple of other electives; I just can't remember what they are!

Nope, no uniforms.

An NIV Bible is a New International Version of the Bible - it's easier to read than the old King James! We tend to use Christian lingo and forget that not everybody understands what we are saying :)

I'm sure if you have questions about the school supplies you could email the school for help. I don't mind if you email me, either! You can PM me directly if you need explanations :)
trissysmommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby dolce on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 am

We found our elementary school (public) had a very good handle on bullying and handled it right away. As our kids got older though, some of the public schools did not handle it the way we expected. The independent school we chose later on definitely kept better tabs, and I think they could because it was smaller.
dolce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Education & Learning