Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

margaret jenkins or sir james douglas

A place to ask questions and share information on anything relating to
educating our children (and ourselves!).

Moderators: Keeper, kattnipp, Glowingtouch, Annikki

margaret jenkins or sir james douglas

Postby bea on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:49 am

Hi, Can anyone provide feedback on these two elementaries? We are not sure about whether to do french immersion as we don't speak french, so in particular are interested in knowing if either is better for english, or for french immersion if parents are not french speakers. Thanks!
bea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: margaret jenkins or sir james douglas

Postby Samandemma on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 am

Hi,
You may find it helpful to check this forum as there have been fairly recent postings that discuss both of the schools you are considering.
There are also great posts re French Immersion.

One of your inquiries regarding Fr. Immersion and parents not speaking French. All French Immersion programmes are specifically designed for teaching children whose parents are not (or are not necessarily) French speaking. Judy Mass at the Victoria School Board is a contact for speaking directly with parents who may have questions, concerns etc re French Immersion.

Good luck with your decision!
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Margaret Jenkins French or English is a great little school and newly renovated too.
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. ― Albert Einstein
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby daniels mom on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with either school,both are said to be great..
That being said my ds goes to SJD in the English program and we love love love it there..
daniels mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bea on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks, I think French Immersion seems like a good opportunity in lots of ways, but I want to be able to participate and help with homework etc. I like the idea of learning French myself, but am not sure how practical it is. I had heard that sometimes there are more behaviour problems in the English streams?
bea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby older.mom on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

They say that it doesn't matter if the parents speak French for the child to do French immersion. This may be true for kids who do well and are self-motivated. But I found that with my son, it was crucial that I at least had enough French to help him out. Otherwise he would have had to drop out of FI.
older.mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby s5 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 pm

our kids have gone to both - and while both are good schools (you can't go wrong with either, in my view) - I like the feel of EMJS a bit better......
s5
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Education & Learning