Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Thinking about Homeschooling? INFO night.

A place to ask questions and share information on anything relating to
educating our children (and ourselves!).

Moderators: Keeper, kattnipp, Glowingtouch, Annikki

Thinking about Homeschooling? INFO night.

Postby WCM on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

As we approach the end of the school year, there are often families considering homeschooling in the fall, as well as families who have decided to take the plunge and want more info. So it's time for another INFO Night for New and Prospective Homeschooling Parents. We will discuss the various styles of learning at home, the vast array of local resources available and answer as many questions as we can. So if you or your friends are considering homeschooling, come and learn about it. If you've already decided to go for it, come say hi and meet some other parents who can become part of your support system.

This event is FREE and open to the public.
(Costs are covered by the Victoria Home Learner's Network) http://www.vhln.org
Wednesday April 18th 7PM at Juan De Fuca Library Meeting room
(on your immediate right as you enter the foyer)

Any questions, please email me directly.

Caelen/WCM
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Thinking about Homeschooling? INFO night.

Postby Eva on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll be there! Thanks C :-D
Eva
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Just bumping this up as the event is next week. Please tell anyone you think might be interested, and I'll see you there!

Caelen/WCM
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Thinking about Homeschooling? INFO night. 6:30-8:30

Postby WCM on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Whoops! This event is actually 6:30-8:30, so we have time to discuss all the options and hear everyone's questions. See you there!
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby renka on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 am

I am sorry that I missed this event. We are seriously considering homeschooling in September but my question is this: how do you know you are truly ready for it?

The reasons for me wanting to pull my kids out of school are primarily because they both hate it - they are in kindy and grade 2. I don't think kids should hate school this passionately at this age.

My problem is that I don't know why - is it their teacher? is it that they have not yet met a good friend and ally (sp?) at their school? Is it the school? Would it be better to change schools or homeschool? I guess I am wondering if you can point me in a direction to help me figure out if this is truly the best decision. My instinct is telling me that where they are is not good for them and we need a change - but what is it? Do we just hope it gets better at their current school in September? Our school feels very different this year but I am not sure if that is because of the job action or the teachers they got......Right now all I know for sure is that it is the end of April and neither of my kids want to go to school - ever. And it started from the day they were placed in their classroom in September.

I realize these questions were not the intent of your thread but I am hoping you can point me in a direction that will help me figure out these answers. Or maybe I am asking the wrong questions?

Thanks. I am feeling a bit lost.....
renka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bluerose0602 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:16 am

We homeschooled our oldest for kindergarten and then she wanted to go to school for gr. 1. By the end of March, she was done. We went back to being a homeschooling family April of 2011 and I am enjoying it as much as she and the other kids are.
bluerose0602
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby RHS on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Renka,

My son didn't like school and I took him out of school after a few weeks of grade one. Home learning has been absolutely fabulous for both him and me. When we started, I was thinking it would be for a couple of years. Now-- at the end of grade 2 and our second year of home learning-- I have hard time imagining him ever going back to school.

Victoria has a very active community of home learners, so there is a lot of suppport out there. Here are a couple of links you might find useful:

http://www.victoriahomeschooling.com/
http://www.vhln.org/
And I just posted on my blog a list of things that I love about home schooling.
http://www.robinstevenson.com/wordpress/category/blog/
Good luck with your decision. I'd be happy to chat if you have questions...
Robin
Reading, writing, unschooling. http://www.robinstevenson.com
RHS
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Education & Learning