Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Black spots on broccoli

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Black spots on broccoli

Postby Nat on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Has anyone noticed those tiny black spots on the broccoli stem? I am very anal when it comes to cutting up my produce and meat, I have to cut every red spot off of lettuce, every dark spot off of cauliflower and as much fat and veins as I can off chicken, etc etc, it's a pain but it makes me feel better. However, I'm getting really tired of skimming all the tiny black spots off of each little piece of broccoli stem, I do it b/c I figured it's mold but I can't stand how long it takes me now to chop up broccoli anymore, I'm slow enough as it is! Now I'm wondering if the black spots aren't mold but something else and should I just suck it up and stop being so nitpicky? Has anyone besides me even noticed these black spots? I need serious help :-(
Nat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nausicaa on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:33 pm

I cut all the tiny black spots off too. I'm a really picky eater, and I won't eat it otherwise. I find it's worse on the organic broccoli. Maybe it's little bugs instead of mold? No less appetizing. :?
Nausicaa
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mommax4 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 am

I know that if you look very carefully in broccoli you can see little black bugs....Some broccoli is way way worse than others...
I make sure to double wash and check my broccoli now...
Although alot of the time I cant see any on it. I guess it depends on where it comes from?
Mommax4

Postby dorqie on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 am

I haven't noticed any on mine, but I don't buy it very often.
I have heard of those black bugs tho. ew.
ImageImage

Lisa Swan & Maureen Cain Bookkeeping
Bookkeeping for your income tax and small business needs
250-383-6348
dorqie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nat on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Nope, definitely not black bugs, these are actual spots all over the stems. I don't recall seeing those spots as much as in the past year or so, maybe it's just the type of broccoli?

Cressida - I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
Nat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shopgirl on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:55 pm

I don't know if it means anything, but whenever I guy organic brocolli or cauliflower, I always check for the black spots when I buy. I have noticed that when there are lots of black spots on the stem there are also often a fair amount of aphids on the brocolli/cauliflower.
"Some women are dripping with diamonds. Some women are dripping with pearls. Lucky me, lucky me - look at what I'm dripping with - LITTLE GIRLS!" :)
Shopgirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café KIV