Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

September Kids Mega Sale

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

September Kids Mega Sale

Postby MommaToTwo on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

It is coming.....
Vancouver Island Multiple Births Association's Kids Mega Sale
September 18th
0930-1230
Pearkes Arena
Cash sales only
bring bags

Anything you could ever imagine you would need you could find there, from newborn up to pre-teens. Books, toys, clothes, shoes, gear, bedding, feeding stuff, and things you would never even think of.

For those who have never attended, here is a little more info and the link to the VIMBA site....

http://sites.google.com/site/vanislandm ... /kms-sales

The sale is huge. It is held at Pearkes in one half of the big gym, where the Baby Fair is held. It is tables upon tables of stuff. Most anything you could ever think of, and then some.

We arrive early to set everything up, and the doors open to the public at 0930hrs. Everything is priced and in groups of boy/girl age/size ranges on the different tables, so it is like a garage sale in that regard, but you do not see the sellers. We do not stand at the tables like at a garage sale.

Prices should be reasonable as it is a garage sale, however you may find new/expensive retail items that are priced accordingly, and set prices are indicated on the tags. Having said that, if you see something you want/like, you can always approach any of the member/volunteers in the lovely orange VIMBA t-shirts and ask if the seller is available. If they are, you can always ask for a lower price. You never know right?

If you already have children, and it is an option, leave them at home, as it is crowded and difficult to navigate around other people with strollers/children, etc.... Opening time is usually the busiest. Towards the end it has thinned out considerably and is easy to walk around.
Last edited by MommaToTwo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: September Kids Mega Sale

Postby upupandaway on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:30 pm

I will be glad to go when they start limiting how much members can shop for before. Last time I was there all the members were walking out at the pre shopping with all the really good stuff.
I am not going to line up for something that has already been picked through by dozens of people.
I know it is a fund raiser but when you invite the community to support you it needs to be worth it to the community!

Let me know if they have changed the policies and I will be the first one in line!
upupandaway
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby AshleytheIslander on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Sounds tempting, but I am not good with line-ups and crowds, so I better stay home, lol!
Ashley, Wife to Sean and Mommy to
Gracie (May 14, 2008; 7lbs8oz)
Thomas (March 28, 2011; 6lbs11oz)
AshleytheIslander
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby seechelle on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:11 am

upupandaway wrote:I will be glad to go when they start limiting how much members can shop for before. Last time I was there all the members were walking out at the pre shopping with all the really good stuff.
I am not going to line up for something that has already been picked through by dozens of people.
I know it is a fund raiser but when you invite the community to support you it needs to be worth it to the community!

Let me know if they have changed the policies and I will be the first one in line!

Your post was mentioned to me by several people who read it. I am sorry to read that you feel negatively about our sale but I'm also wondering if perhaps you don't have all the information.

We do allow shopping for members between 9 and 9:30, as they pay yearly membership dues to belong to VIMBA and this is one of the benefits of being a member. However, there are many non-members who also sell at our sale, and they are also allowed to shop at this time, in fact at our last sale, we had more non-member sellers than member ones! The opportunity to sell items at the sale is open to everyone. Both members, and non-member sellers volunteer many hours of their time to set up, organize, manage and take down this sale, allowing them to shop for half an hour before the public is a way of recognizing all the effort and time they put in to make the sales as successful as they are. It's unfortunate you feel that the sale is picked over by the time it is open to the public. In my own experience, and for several others I have spoken to, this is not their perception, as there is such a huge selection of items.

If it is important to you to be able to shop during that half an hour period, the opportunity to sell your own items and volunteer your time is always available to you as well as everyone else in the community. We are always happy to welcome new non-member sellers and volunteers!

if you have any further questions or comments, our VIMBA email is vimba234@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to answer them.
Sincerely
Michelle Peterson
President, VIMBA
Callum & Riley's mom
seechelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nat on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:40 am

seechelle wrote:However, there are many non-members who also sell at our sale, and they are also allowed to shop at this time, in fact at our last sale, we had more non-member sellers than member ones!

I sold as a non-member for the first time yesterday and I didn't know non-members could shop at 9:00! I had read someone's comments on KIV before that non-members weren't allowed to shop at 9:00, good to know that they can, I should have asked yesterday before leaving and coming back at 9:30, lol!

upupandaway wrote:I will be glad to go when they start limiting how much members can shop for before. Last time I was there all the members were walking out at the pre shopping with all the really good stuff.

I can tell you that yesterday there was TONS of stuff when I went in at 9:30 and there was still lots left by the end of the sale. I don't think I've ever seen so much clothing for sale (can't speak for the other items since I don't really shop for those), definitely one of the busiest sales in all the years I've been attending. But you never know how it's going to turn out, sometimes there are a lot of items, sometimes it seems like everything's been picked over early on, this time there was so much that I think a lot of items got buried under the mountains of clothes and didn't get sold, just too much stuff! Sometimes I find a lot of good items, sometimes I don't, it just depends.

I can also tell you that it's a lot of work to set up this event, I didn't get there as early as a lot of members did but I did help out and by the end of it I was exhausted. Hard to grudge the sellers for having first crack at it.
Nat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby seechelle on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:46 am

I sold as a non-member for the first time yesterday and I didn't know non-members could shop at 9:00! I had read someone's comments on KIV before that non-members weren't allowed to shop at 9:00, good to know that they can, I should have asked yesterday before leaving and coming back at 9:30, lol!

Hey Nat, yes you can shop in that half hour, sorry it wasn't more clear to you. We are getting swamped with people wanting to sell and it's hard sometimes to make sure everyone knows it all. After yesterday's sale, some of us were talking about putting togehter a "sellers information package" with all the info, contacts, expectations, rules etc to give out to everyone and we will be sure to include that!

thanks for your comments and hope to see you at the next one in November!
Michelle P
President, VIMBA
Callum & Riley's mom
seechelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beany on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 pm

We have sold at the sales for many years as non members and have never been told we could shop in that 30 mins. We always had to wait until 9:30.If this has always been allowed I am very dissapointed that we were not made aware. The organization has made many hundreds of dollars from us over the last 6 yrs.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brigette on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:40 pm

seechelle wrote: However, there are many non-members who also sell at our sale, and they are also allowed to shop at this time,

I hope you can make this known to your members that run the sale. I have been specifically told non-members are not allowed to pre shop and even had an item taken away and given to someone else because she was a memebr. I have sold for many years and love the sale but that really pi$$ed me off.
Friends are like butt cheeks.
Crap might separate them, But they always come back together.
Brigette
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Yvonne A on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Brigette wrote:
seechelle wrote: However, there are many non-members who also sell at our sale, and they are also allowed to shop at this time,

I hope you can make this known to your members that run the sale. I have been specifically told non-members are not allowed to pre shop and even had an item taken away and given to someone else because she was a memebr. I have sold for many years and love the sale but that really pi$$ed me off.

I have shopped this sale for over 7 years and I was told, members shop at 9:00am and non-members at 9:15am.
Yvonne A
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby seechelle on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:02 pm

I need to apologize to several of you. I am somewhat new to this position and after reading your posts checked with the coordinator of the sales. You are all correct. For many years the policy was that non member sellers were not allowed to shop in the half hour period before open to the public. The coordinator told me that over the past year it has kind of "relaxed" but was not really official. Recently the decision was made that non member sellers are now allowed officially to shop in that half hour. She tried to gather everyone for a meeting at 8:45 to let everyone know, but unfortunately people were still putting out items and she wasn't able to get everyone together. As I've been at the sales over the past year I assumed it was the official policy and I apologize for misunderstanding and communicating that. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

We will be putting together a sellers information package and make sure to communicate to all sellers, members and non members this policy. Again I apologize for my mistake and hope this helps to clarify and also for future sales.
Callum & Riley's mom
seechelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MommaToTwo on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:11 pm

However, there are many non-members who also sell at our sale, and they are also allowed to shop at this time,

We have sold at the sales for many years as non members and have never been told we could shop in that 30 mins. We always had to wait until 9:30.If this has always been allowed I am very dissapointed that we were not made aware. The organization has made many hundreds of dollars from us over the last 6 yrs.

This is a new policy change that was just implemented in time for the September 2010 KMS. Unfortunately, as Michelle said in her previous post, it was not made clear to the sellers in time. Nor are all members aware of this fact because the new info package that Michelle alluded to has not yet been finalized and sent out.

As all members who "work" for VIMBA are volunteers, things do take a bit more time to accomplish than if this were a for-profit organization with paid employees whose actual job it is to take care of these things in a more timely fashion. Darn that pesky thing called life that keeps getting in the way :lol:
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MommaToTwo on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm

by upupandaway on 10 Sep 2010 21:30

I will be glad to go when they start limiting how much members can shop for before. Last time I was there all the members were walking out at the pre shopping with all the really good stuff.

I was checking out the Calgary multiples site for information since we travel there a lot, and I just wanted to add a bit of perspective about the VIMBA sale in relation to other club's sales. This was taken from the Calgary Multiples Sale Info Site....
*Admission to shop is free for all current members upon presentation of valid membership card. Cost for the general public is $1.00.
*Sale is open to members plus one guest at 7AM. Doors open to the general public at 9AM.

So although the pre-shop policy for members and sellers has not changed, at least it is only 30 minutes as opposed to 2 hours. Nor could I imagine paying to go shopping at a garage sale. But that is just me :)

On that note, the next KMS is Nov.20!!!!!
MommaToTwo
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café KIV