Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click
• I shall maintain a sense of humor about all things motherhood, for without it, I recognize that I may end up institutionalized. Or, at the very least, completely miserable.
• I shall not judge the mother in the grocery store who, upon entering, hits the candy aisle and doles out M&Ms to her screaming toddler. It is simply a survival mechanism.
• I shall not compete with the mother who effortlessly bakes from scratch, purees her own baby food, or fashions breathtaking costumes from tissue paper. Motherhood is not a competition. The only ones who lose are the ones who race the fastest.
• I shall shoot the parents of the screaming newborn on the airplane looks of compassion rather than resentment. I am fortunate to be able to ditch the kid upon landing. They, however, are not.
• I shall never ask any woman whether she is, in fact, expecting. Ever.
• I shall not question the mother who is wearing the same yoga pants, flip-flops and t-shirt she wore to school pickup the day before. She has good reason.
• I shall never claim to know everything about any child but my own. (Who still remains a mystery to me.)
• I shall hold the new babies belonging to friends and family, so they may shower and nap, which is all any new mother really wants.
• I shall attempt to not pass down my own messed up body issues to my daughter. She deserves a mother who loves and respects herself; stretch marks, cellulite and all.
• I shall not preach the benefits of breastfeeding or circumcision or home schooling or organic food or co-sleeping or crying it out to a fellow mother who has not asked my opinion. It's none of my damn business.
• I shall try my hardest to never say never, for I just may end up with a loud-mouthed, bikini clad, water gun shooting toddler of my very own.
• I shall remember that no mother is perfect and my children will thrive because, and sometimes even in spite, of me.
Excerpted from "Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary" by Jill Smokler. Published by Gallery Books
- Posts: 737
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 am
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests
North Ridge Housing Cooperative - 2 bdrm TH available Feb 1
Lovely condo for rent near Mayfair
Licenced daycare full time available
Fleece and faux suede stroller / car seat bag
- Big room with OwnEmtramce/shared suite
- Big Room with Private Entrance in Sh...
- PT/FT AVAILABLE NOW 18m- 4.5y old, W...
- Full time or Part time space available
- Part Time, or Possible Full Time, Ho...
- Looking for part time sub teacher fo...
- Baby Bjorn Active (Lumbar Support)
- Star Wars light saber kit
- Megablocks truck
- Kinder egg toys
- Eyewitness books
- 3 bedroom townhouse
- Tea pot home
- Girls sweater
- Gymboree sweater
- Red and black satin dress
- White satin dress
- Snow Boots Waterproof for Kids
- BIG KID TOQUES (OR TUQUES!)-BRAND NEW
Sign up now to start receiving the KIV Newsletter. It only takes a minute.
Enter now for your chance to win some exciting prizes in our Kids in Victoria & Island Parent Contest! We have new contests often, so check back regularly!