Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

babysitter's safe return home-who's reponsibility?

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch

who's responsibility is it to ensure 14 yr old sitter's safe return home

the parents (of the 14 year old hired to sit)
13%
the family that has hired her
87%

Total votes : 71

babysitter's safe return home-who's reponsibility?

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Just curious what you think?
Do you feel as the parent ,you should pick up (daughter in this case)
after she sits in the evening?
Do you feel the people that have hired her should assure her safe return home?
Should the daughter pay for a cab?
Take the bus?
I personally don't feel walking home alone is safe.
What was a "go" when you sat as a young teen?

Thanks for answering :)
Anonymous Posts

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:17 pm

I think it is the responsibility of the babysitters parents to ensure thier childs safety when going to and from a job. It is no one elses responsibility for them to get to and from school, to and from games, to and from shopping etc. Why should babysitting be any different?

I come from a small town so wlaking a few blocks was expected. In a city it is different, but my mom always had me call home after I had arrived at a babysitting job and right before I left- even in a small town.
Anonymous Posts

Postby saucy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:18 pm

When I babysat waay back, the parents of the child/children I was babysitting for either drove me home or paid for a cab for me.
saucy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Lee on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I think it is the reponsiblilty of the family who hired the babysitter, that's what I remember happening when I was a teenager.
Lee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 2kids4me on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:34 pm

I think it's the responsibility of the family she's sitting for to get her home safely. If that involves a cab ride or a bus ride then she needs to phome when shw arrives safely at home. All fares should be paid by the family not the sitter.
2kids4me
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm

when i used to babysit it was always MY responsability to get myself home.. weather it be cab, walking or calling someone to pick me up... i never had a single person pay above my babysitting fee to send me home
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm

When I was babysitting it would be my parents driving me there (as the ones I was sitting for needed the time to get ready and kids fed/to bed) and one of the parents I was sitting for drove me home - UNLESS we talked about the need for me to get a ride home before hand, which alsohappened at times. As the sitter I always asked if they would like for me to find my own way home though, so it was an open topic.

If I were to hire someone now I would automatically state the above, or I would offer to help him or her pay half the cab ride home, on top of the few hours we had them sitting.

Hope that helps!

Postby LoriB on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 pm

I grew up in the country and the family who hired me always picked me up and drove me home.

When we have a young sitter she finds her own way here and back if it's during the daytime. But I always drive her home if it's much past 7pm. I just feel responsible for making sure she gets home okay. If it was late and I couldn't drive her home then I'd pay for a cab for her to get home.

We even used to drive home our older sitter (twenties) before she had a car because I knew it could be a long wait for the bus later at night. I wasn't as concerned about her safety but I just felt like it was a nice thing to do.
LoriB

Postby elijahsmum on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm

When I was younger, the norm was a ride home unless someone had a drink then I took a cab which was paid for. Sometimes I slept over and got paid extra. When that was done, the parents were only out for something extra special like a wedding...
elijahsmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby marty on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:28 pm

I always got a ride to and from my babysitting jobs from the family that hired me. I was in a unique situation though.....the family really liked me and had moved out of our neighbourhood but the Dad always picked me up and drove me home (and rented the movie I wanted to watch and got good junk food!!!) :lol:
marty
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 pm

i voted that it should be the hiring family's job if the babysitter is only 14 but the problem i would have making sure babysitter gets home safely is i'm a single parent... so i arrive home say at 11pm, i'd have to wake my kids, get them in the car, get babysitter home, get kids back into bed and asleep. or i guess i could offer cab fare but that would add to the cost of a night out. now this could be why i'm still single and never get out :lol:
Anonymous Posts

Postby dorqie on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:45 pm

When I used to babysit the family drove me home, unless they had been drinking, in that case they would pay for a cab.
I would expect to find a safe way home for my dd's sitters when that time comes.
ImageImage

Lisa Swan & Maureen Cain Bookkeeping
Bookkeeping for your income tax and small business needs
250-383-6348
dorqie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby murf1511 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:28 am

ok, I definately feel that it is the responsability of the person doing the hiring to make sure that my child is delivered home safely. I as the parent will ensure that this is taking place and that my dd is not left to her own devices. We have occasionally picked up at the end of the evening for a single parent if the kids are already in bed, but this is pre-determined before hand and not the norm, just us being nice for someone who is otherwise stuck. In this case, the person hiring would offer to pay for the gas, as they realize that it is their responsability to get the sitter home. Depending how far away the sitter lives, we try to only have our dd sit for those close to us so that a quick drive is not an issue.
murf1511
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:47 am

I feel it is the responsibility of the family hiring the babysitter. We always make sure one of us is NOT drinking so that we can get the babysitter home. I'm not sure about putting them in a cab, and I wouldn't expect their parents to come get them at what are sometimes some very late hours.

When we were living out in Sidney, I (or my husband) was known to drive from Sidney into town, pick up the babysitter, drive back to Sidney, come into town and do our thing, go back to Sidney and get the babysitter, and drive back into town to take the babysitter home and then drive myself back to Sidney.

This was not only because I wanted what I knew to be a GREAT babysitter for my kids, but because it's MY responsibility as her employer to make sure she gets home safe at the end of the night. And being all the way out in Sidney, I felt it was my responsibility to pick her up too. (and totally worth it I might add, for the best babysitter in the world.....)

If we as parents are going to trust OUR children to these teenagers, we in turn should be making sure that those teenagers, who are someone else's children, should be getting home safe.

~R~N~

Postby Anonymous Posts on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:26 pm

For a young babysitter, under age 18 I believe it is the responsibility of the adults who are hiring the babysitter to ensure that the babysitter has a safe return to home by either hiring and paying for a cab or driving the sitter to her home.
Anonymous Posts

Next

Return to Café KIV