Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

suv

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch

suv

Postby Lee on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:22 pm

Were in the process of buying an suv type vehicle but are undecided about what to get. We want something that has pulling capacity as we have a tent trailer but are also thinking within the next couple years of buys a 18 ft hard top so it has to be able to pull one of those. We don't want anything that is too hard on gas. We were thinking the jeep liberty but have heard they are harder on gas. Any suggestions???
Lee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mish on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:29 pm

maybe go to the library and check out the consumer reports?
If we want world peace, we must begin with the children. Gandhi
Mish
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TP on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:48 pm

I just got rid of my liberty, it was only an 05, however hard on gas. its tank is surprisingly large for the size of the vehicle, 77 litres to be exact, so whatever the gas is times 77 litres to fill? As well an average tank, not pulling extra weight would get me approx 300 to 350 on a good week of driving.
I liked the liberty, really liked it actually, however the gas consumption was crazy, however most larger vehicles are, only makes sense. Any ways just an idea on what you can expect for gas
Just a side note, the liberty does now come in a diesel. Might be a better option. Way cheaper for fuel, as well you usually triple your KM to tank. We traded for a diesel, a jetta, however i pay about 55 bucks a tank and get 900 to 1000 Km. You might want think about the liberty diesel as an option
TP
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Chezza on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm interested to hear what you find out as I was about to post the same question!
My criteria:
tent trailer
2 small kids
good on gas
peppy
possibly a 3rd row seat
sunroof??

Just saw online that the Honda Pilot was the best SUV overall and the Forester the best small SUV. We have an older Forester but the back seat space is limited and towing capacity is 2000 lbs GVW. I think I read that the Explorer is the best for towing.
Chezza
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mem on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:10 pm

Here is a comparison chart of the hybrid SUV's...I know you weren't asking about hybrids, but it's 500 km per tank of gas apparently...I"m in love with the Ford Escape personally!

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_SUVs.shtml
mem
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:16 pm

we looked at the hybrids too, unfortunatly after DH did alot of research of them, we found out, they run on gas when highway driving, they only run on battery when doing alot of idling, so depending on your driving habits, if alot of city driving they are great, and if not, they wont save much in gas... and the battery is extremely expensive to replace, and does not have a long life expectancy....just a consideration. Each vehichle is unique and has its pros and cons.. depends on what fits your lifestyle.
Anonymous Posts

Postby Lee on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:05 pm

Well we went looking today, if you want to be able to pull a hard top trailor your going to spend more on gas as you need a larger engine. The ones we have narrowed it down to are: jeep liberty, dodge durango slt, and dodge Nitro as these ones have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs and are sort of in the middle for gas. The Dodge Nitro has the same engine as the jeep liberty and is easier on gas. The Dodge Durango is even easier on gas as it has a lighter frame. We are leaning towards the Dodge Nitro. Now if you don't plan on pulling a large trailor then the ford escape, honda pilot, toyota hylander would work, they pull 3500 lbs, the new toyota hylander 2008 will have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs but will be very expensive. The 2007 and earlier models tow 3500 lbs
Lee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Anonymous 1 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:33 pm

If you want a top notch SUV then I would recommend the Toyota 4runner.
I have owned 4runners since 1991 and currently have an 05. Couldn't imagine anything else. What a Teriffic ride! Only downside is dealing with Metro Toyota. I actually bought mine through Kelowna Toyota but maybe you would be satisfied with their service. I just hated their....we are the only show in town attitude.
Toyota is however one of the best..if not the best car maker going.
Anonymous 1
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Lee on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:09 pm

I agree, but it also has an expensive price tag too. The new ones are I think $46,000.00 with taxes included.
Lee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café KIV