Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

laminate flooring - would you do it?

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch

laminate flooring - would you do it?

Postby sarenka on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 pm

I want to install laminate flooring. My husband thinks that we should wait becasue our child is small so she can damage the floor with toys (she throws toys on the floor all the time).

I would really like to have nice floor.
What is your opinion? Do you have laminate flooring and small children and you still think it is worth it to install them? or maybe I should go for the hardwood floor - quite expensive!!! What is your advice?
sarenka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Our laminate flooring (was here when we moved in so I'm not sure of brand) is virtually indestructable! We drag, throw, drop, have a dog and it is markless! I LOVE IT!!

Postby TP on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I have had both. and with a small child. my last house was laminate, and so much more durable and scratch proof. This house is real hardwood, and i find it dents more, scratches easier and obvisously the wood is softer so it does show dent marks when things get dropped.. by my 5 year old..grrrrrr... I would have preferred the laminate again
TP
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Milleniummom on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:07 pm

same here, I used to have laminate in my old house and now have wood and prefer the laminate, much more durable and cheaper ;)
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity ... the optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty."
-Cory Everson
Milleniummom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ander on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:21 pm

I prefer hardwood but we installed laminate 2 years ago because of the price difference and because we had a cat and intended to start a family. If we stay in this house until our kid/s are older, we'll change it out but for now, it looks good and is totally child-proof.
ander
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:54 pm

i have a nearly new house with apparently cheapo flooring, it looked nice at the start but it is getting trashed and not necessarily by kids!! if i drop something putting away the groceries like a can of soup, i get a nice dent and scratch. the floor is only 2 years old and i'm already wanting to replace it with something better...
Anonymous Posts

Postby bahamamama on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Love our laminate floor. We have a 70lb dog, and there is no scratch in sight. Also, our guy bangs things around, at it is all good.
Good luck, I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
bahamamama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby dolce on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 pm

we also prefer our laminate and had it installed when our youngest child was only 1. It still looks brand new and is so durable compared to our hardwood that shows any scratch from a chair etc. If it were my decision I'd go ahead and install the laminate and enjoy it. The only thing we dislike about both laminate and hardwood is that we find it very hard under the feet after awhile and also very cold in the winter. The laminate is actually not as bad as the hardwood perhaps because of the underlay we chose.
dolce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby JaynaF on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:14 pm

we have laminate, and I love it too! We have kids, and daycare children. I have yet to see a scratch or dent. Things wipe off so easily... I agree about the wood scratching and denting easier. its softer.. jayna
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby sarenka on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:23 pm

It is great to hear that the laminate is doing well.
I think it depends what kind of laminate floor you get.
I want to put laminate in the kitchen as well and it is very easy to have can of soup to drop on the floor.
I wish I would know how to choose the good one, not scrathable laminate floor. There are many choices but how to find out which one is the really, really good one so my daughter will not destroy it with her big and heavy toys :)
sarenka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Deb M on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:15 pm

We have laminate and have had no problems. We have a big dog and I had a daycare for a few years and we've had no scratches.

We were going to put laminate in the kitchen but it can be risky because dishwashers can leak.
Deb M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby dorqie on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 pm

My MIL has laminate floors. It took them less than a day to install, its easy to clean, and pretty durable. I think it looks really good, I can only tell it's not real wood because she told me.
ImageImage

Lisa Swan & Maureen Cain Bookkeeping
Bookkeeping for your income tax and small business needs
250-383-6348
dorqie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sarenka on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 pm

any suggestions where would be a good place to buy laminate flooring?
especially looking at the quality and price...
sarenka
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:08 pm

We also have laminate & love it, the only problem with it is if it gets wet, it will swell & lift, so as long as you don't install it near any water sources (kitchen/bathroom), it works great.
Anonymous Posts

Postby Milleniummom on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:34 am

I would have to disagree with pp, in our last house I had laminate in the kitchen and had no problems.
Milleniummom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café KIV