Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

swimming lesson advice !!!

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch, Annikki

swimming lesson advice !!!

Postby twoboys-mom on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 pm

hi, my son is 5 years old and he is taking swimming lessons at G H rec centre and my problem is that he repeated the same level for 3 times, and still couldn't pass it :-(

any advice or similar experience??? :)
twoboys-mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:18 pm

This happened to one of my kids, the oldest as he couldn't put his head underwater. However they told me once he got it he would move ahead leaps and bounds and he really did. I would talk it over with the person in charge of lessons and see what they recommend. Our oldest swims like a fish now and is a strong confident swimmer, passing levels easily. It's actually hard to remember back to when he was afraid to put his head underwater.
Anonymous Posts

Postby brymommy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 pm

bigboy could you tell me what level this is? and what isn't checked off on his report cards.

Many children repeat many levels. Swimming lessons is not a matter of passing or failing. It's a matter completing the level or incompleting. The difference is they are always working towards new skills. Sometimes in levels higher.

There are some levels that children get "stuck" at for awhile. All it means is he is just not quite ready. As much as it may bug us as parents the children usually doesn't mind too much. Especially if they child is finding it difficult.

IF there's only a couple skills left your child has to complete then a private lesson or two are sometimes helpful. Although they are more expensive sometimes children need the one on one time. And if there is only a couple things to work on they can usually work on completing those couple items in just a couple privates. Which will actually save you money in the long run.

You can always call the program supervisor and ask if your child could be evaluated (no cost) and see what they suggest, maybe there is only a couple things.

I could help a bit more if I knew the level and skills incompleted.

It is normal. We as parents never like to see our child no do well at something. But it is normal :D
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:54 pm

I thought the lessons were more based on age? My DD just started Swimming lessons at Commonwealth in the Salamanders and it is from ages 3-5. I just figured that she will be in that group until she is a little older.

She won't put her face in either but it has been two lessons and we bought her goggles. However, this is a girl who hates having her hair washed because of water in the face. (been like that since birth).

Cheers,
Lara

Postby twoboys-mom on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 pm

thank you guys,
my son is in sunfish, and his big problem that he doesn't like to put his head under the water :-D
sounds familiar, it is good to know that but , how to overcome this barrier?the googles are not working because his eyes are not the only problem sometimes he gets out of the pool with his hair almost dry,
and I don't think private lesson will work too because 2 of the three times he took this level he was alone with the teacher accidentally!!
twoboys-mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:28 pm

bigboy wrote:thank you guys,
my son is in sunfish, and his big problem that he doesn't like to put his head under the water :-D
sounds familiar, it is good to know that but , how to overcome this barrier?the googles are not working because his eyes are not the only problem sometimes he gets out of the pool with his hair almost dry,
and I don't think private lesson will work too because 2 of the three times he took this level he was alone with the teacher accidentally!!

Maybe earplugs will work? With my DD it is all about her ears. My brother is the same way and still doesn't like water in his ears. She is freaked about water in her ears. We are working on this as well.

Cheers,
Lara

Postby brymommy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:33 pm

bigboy

That's a common problem. Here's my suggestion. Lose the goggles. All they do is make them dependant on them. Goggles are great around level 4/5. If he's still not putting his head under in sunfish then he may have been completed through salamander prematurely. However this is ok and still workable. Here are some things to try.

-go to the pool to play. show him how mommy and daddy go underwater, get him going underwater by showing him how to blow bubbles with his mouth and then with his nose. (Nose bubbles are the standard as you then don't get water up the nose and this skill is needed later on for swimming front crawl) To blow bubbles with your nose, close your mouth and make a humming sound.

-Explain to him that his body is made up mostly of water and that means his eyes are made up mostly of water. Kids totally get this. Tell him it's ok if he doesn't want to get his eyes wet he can close them really tight and then open them up when he gets up.

-Practice both at home and in the bath splashing and making it normal (it's ok to splash others as long as you ask first, but sometimes you may be splashed accidentally) Another favorite is the You dump water on my head and I dump water on your head taking turns. You can start with a small cup or watering can and move to a big bucket. The more fun you make this game then the more he will be ok with you dumping water on his head.

-Not fearing water yourself. This is big. If you are afraid of water or getting your own head wet then he will have a harder time. Go practice by yourself, take some adult lessons or privates yourself. you don't have to become a swimmer but to feel comforatble in the water and under water is big!

-get some sinky toys and start them really shallow and slowly move them deeper and deeper. Soon he will have to put his chin in to get them, then his mouth bubbles, then his nose bubbles and soon his whole head.

-Sing some songs. "this is the way we wash our face" is a good one to practice getting our whole face wet.

Sometimes taking a small break from lessons for just play time instead helps.

Even though privates may help he may be a child that needs other kids to challenge him. Which in that case group lessons are of course best and if he's ending up by himself then maybe he needs that push. GHRC is a small family pool but unfortunatly sometimes has low registration in some of their classes if it's an uncommon time. You could try a bigger rec center or a more common time.

I'd also keep trying different instructors. Different instructors have different techniques.

Lara2kidlets

Lessons are somewhat based on age. However some 3 year olds can be in higher levels and some 5 year olds in lower levels... Some just pick it up faster than others. I hope some of my earlier tips can help with your dd and her face getting wet. It's one of the toughest hurdels. I would also suggest just slowly working on her getting the ears wet... It's a big deal to lots of kids, they all slowly work past it. I like to say look at swimming lessons as preparness for saftey. If she were to fall out of a boat you want her comforatble with having her eyes and ears wet as she proabbly would have goggles with her and both would probably get wet. Even in a PFD. You have a great outlook on reddiness and just letting them take their time!!
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting