Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Joining a church

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch

Joining a church

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:21 pm

I've been thinking for a long time about joining a church. I have to admit that I don't know much about religion and don't have a clue where to go. I don't want something too radical and I'd like to find somewhere that has Sunday school for my kids who are 7 & 10 and some extra kid activities or a children's choir.

I don't have any family and few friends here so thought it would be a good base for us. I've always felt something missing in my life and looking for what that might be...

Anyone have any thoughts on places I could check into that would be welcoming of a single parent family and we are a visable minority family if that matters in any way :o like I said I know very little!

Almost anywhere in Saanich - Royal Oak, Glanford, Lake Hill, etc. areas would be fine... I noticed a church on Quadra near Chatterton - anyone go there or know what they're about?

Thanks for any insight or info!
Anonymous Posts

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Please try Friendship Baptist on Central Saanich Road at Mt. Newton X-Rd. in Saanichton ( just off highway 17 towards the Sidney) We just started going there for the Sunday 9am service. Lots of energy, good sincere people and a lot of youth. Very casual ( bring your coffee cup to service!). Good music too. I am sure there are a lot of good choices for you but this one is mine! Good luck!
Anonymous Posts

Postby MMmommy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:34 pm

My story is similar, we have enjoyed Cadboro Bay United on Arbutus Rd.

Feel free to e-mail me any question you might have.
each moment is a chance to begin again
MMmommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 pm

The one near Quadra and Chatterton I believe is the Church of the Nazarene, well liked by those we've talked to.
Other christian churches:

Lambrick Park Church, Gordon Head, community christian church
Saanich Baptist on Wilkinson, also a thriving youth group and childrens ministry,
Central Baptist downtown on Pandora - beautiful music, etc.
Saanichton Bible Fellowship - Central Saanich
Many of the ones I've mentioned have thriving ministries for all ages, relevant, enriching and friendly churches. Many have contemporary music, informal services, relevant Bible teaching and many ways to become as involved as you'd like to be.
Best wishes for finding the right church for you!
Anonymous Posts

Postby Anonymous Posts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:05 pm

also many churches will provide a written statement of faith to outline their core beliefs for you.
Anonymous Posts

Postby dolce on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:38 am

Also in the Royal Oak, Broadmead area is Gateway Baptist, on Royal Oak Drive, not too far from the Nazarene church you saw on Quadra.
dolce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby loganberry on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:10 am

Lambrick Park Church has a wonderful Single Parent's group - you can find out more at http://www.lambrick.com. I know they have a Kids summer camp (VBS) August 20-24th that would be a great way to get familiar with the church and the kids programs. They are top notch for kids programs - in particular the Middle School Ministry, which your oldest is coming up into.

Church of the Nazerene (i have heard) is really good, as well as Saanich Baptist has an awesome kids program as well. There's also the Lion of Judah church, which used to be Durrance school out on West Saanich.

Good luck!

Teri
The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.

~ Joan Didion ~
loganberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Anonymous Posts on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:46 am

Also Arbutus Christian Fellowship which I believe is moving into an Anglican church building in the Fall in Saanich.
Anonymous Posts

Hey

Postby kellybelly on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi there
The church you are thinking of is indeed the the Church of the Nazarene.
It is a wonderful church that really focuses on young families and children. All of the sunday school workers are friendly, devoted moms who care a lot for each individual child.
There are programs for all ages, but during the summer months the SUnday schools workers get some time off so the classes are blended together a bit.
Check it out. You will be very welcomed.
kellybelly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LoriB on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:49 pm

If you're not particularly religious or don't have a particular church (i.e. Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian etc.)in mind then maybe the Unitarian Church would be a good choice for you.
They're on W. Saanich Rd., not far from Royal Oak area.

Here's their website.

http://victoriaunitarian.ca/index.php
LoriB

Postby Anonymous Posts on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Just for your info, the Unitarian church brings in beliefs from a lot of different religions, not just Christianity. A quick look at their website shows that they do NOT believe in the Trinity, a basic tenet of Christianity.

You don't have to come from one denomination or any church at all to attend the christian churches noted above. For example lots of people never raised in a church find a home church in a Bible believing church. Most are more than happy to give you their core beliefs, have websites to refer to, and many offer an Alpha program.
Alpha is one of the best programs to explore religion. When you enquire at different churches, ask if they have Alpha.

Another poster mentioned Lambrick Park's single parents group - this would be a great place to try.
Anonymous Posts

Postby Ginger Snap on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi,
As other posters have mentioned, the church you were talking about it the Church of the Nazarene. It's awesome, that's where we go. Loads of young families, and very welcoming.
I hope you find what you are looking for. :-D
Ginger Snap
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:51 pm

This thread really got me thinking...why haven't I gone to church since moving back here??

So, tomorrow I am taking my little guy to St. Aidan's United, one of my old haunts.

I have to say that Lambrick Park has an AMAZING night service, if you are into contemporary music. Another old haunt from my university days...hmmm...maybe we should go there soon too...

Thanks! This gave me the push I needed to get up and go in the morning!!

Postby LoriB on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Anonymous wrote:Just for your info, the Unitarian church brings in beliefs from a lot of different religions, not just Christianity. A quick look at their website shows that they do NOT believe in the Trinity, a basic tenet of Christianity.

Not to hijack, but there are several churches that do not believe in the Trinity but are still considered Christian.

But you are right, the Unitarian church includes people of many different religions and backgrounds, including those who do not identify with a particular religion.
LoriB

Postby Anonymous Posts on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 pm

OP - faith is really a simple thing, not complicated at all and the church of your choice will welcome your family.

At our church the underlying message is LOVE.... I think you will find this to be true at churches such as those mentioned early in the thread.
Anonymous Posts

Next

Return to Café KIV