I don't think I could stick to a buy less mentality if I didn't figure out what my needs and wants are. It will be one part of helping me decide if this is something I buy or don't buy.
Has anyone come up with anything else since the "important to family" and "budget" steps?
It seems we are leaning more and more towards jumping in with Tracy and buying NOTHING in the next 3 months (starting Jan.15th). I keep looking back at our past purchases and asking "how did that fit in? " But you can not look back only ahead...........
I have been reading many of the sites people have posted and one thing I love that I do and need to do more is translate the cost of something into my husbands hours. For example the New plant I want, is it really worth greg working 2 hours for? Most of the time the answer is no it is not.
I have been meal planning and thinking tonnes.
Just like last time I think that buying nothing is much more than not spending money. For us it is about looking around us and making changes.
I am so excited to jump on board and see everyone at the potluck
- Posts: 8454
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:16 am
- Location: Gordon Head
I'm not going to word this well but I have also started thinking about how I don't want to work more hours for more money to buy more stuff so instead of working harder just to earn more to spend more if I just cut down on my buying and save more money then it would be like working harder and longer for the money but without the work (if that made any sense at all).
A penny saved is a penny and a half earned I guess I'm trying to say.
I have a hard time with extravagances. I think to myself, "wow, wouldn't it be nice to have a nicer, newer car?" but then I realize that that new car is still only going to take me from A to B, just like my old, paid for car, and it's not going to do anything differently or better than my old car so therefore it's an extravagance that I don't need.
For me, it's a very personal thing. I am really a "plain Jane" kind of girl. I don't understand or get the mentality of Buy More, Buy Bigger, Buy Better. That definitely helps live a frugal life.
- Posts: 4577
- Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:59 pm
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Childcare Assistant-Physical Disability 11am-5 pm M thru F
Black Natuzzi Leather Couch and Loveseat - Great Condition
Brand new Creative Memories items and more!
Printer ink and laser toner
- Mature couple looking to rent 3 bedr...
- Teacher/ECE Available for Tutoring a...
- Twin FIndley Bed from Bombay Compnay
- Before and After School Care Educator
- Little Hands Child Care 2 Locations ...
- Full-time Child Care Available!
- Dog Walker Available!
- Nanny Available
- Licensed family daycare has opening ...
- Drop in Childcare Available (1 to 10...
- Drop in Childcare Available!! (1 to ...
- Kids cleats
- Brand new Creative Memories items an...
- Black Natuzzi Leather Couch and Love...
- Childcare Assistant-Physical Disabil...
- Angel Fish 4"
- Beautiful Black Iron Wine Rack
- Rivers Edge 17' Oasis Ladder Stand T...
- 2 Matching Loveseats both for $175
- NEW in Box - Blue Canon Powershot A4...
Sign up now to start receiving the KIV Newsletter. It only takes a minute.
Enter now for your chance to win some exciting prizes in our Kids in Victoria & Island Parent Contest! We have new contests often, so check back regularly!