Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Buy less group - needs vs wants

Chat about everything to do with your health, fitness and wellness. Diet & Nutrition, health questions, exercise ideas...

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Buy less group - needs vs wants

Postby Harmony on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:29 pm

So I've thought about what is important to my family, I've done a very semi-budget and then today I thought that it was time to figure out for me what are my needs and what are my wants.

I don't think I could stick to a buy less mentality if I didn't figure out what my needs and wants are. It will be one part of helping me decide if this is something I buy or don't buy.

Has anyone come up with anything else since the "important to family" and "budget" steps?
Harmony

Postby organic momma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm

We have been thinking more and more about this in our house since doing our budget.

It seems we are leaning more and more towards jumping in with Tracy and buying NOTHING in the next 3 months (starting Jan.15th). I keep looking back at our past purchases and asking "how did that fit in? :? " But you can not look back only ahead...........

I have been reading many of the sites people have posted and one thing I love that I do and need to do more is translate the cost of something into my husbands hours. For example the New plant I want, is it really worth greg working 2 hours for? Most of the time the answer is no it is not.

I have been meal planning and thinking tonnes.

Just like last time I think that buying nothing is much more than not spending money. For us it is about looking around us and making changes.

I am so excited to jump on board and see everyone at the potluck
"It's not due to laziness that someone is poor, it's not due to a lack of ambition or lack of intelligence its because they lack things that we take advantage everyday" Living on one dollar a day
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Harmony on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 pm

That is excellent OM. Translating purchases into hours of work. I will start doing that as I don't want to fritter all my hours of hard work away on stuff I don't need.

I'm not going to word this well but I have also started thinking about how I don't want to work more hours for more money to buy more stuff so instead of working harder just to earn more to spend more if I just cut down on my buying and save more money then it would be like working harder and longer for the money but without the work (if that made any sense at all).

A penny saved is a penny and a half earned I guess I'm trying to say.
Harmony

Postby tiptoetulip on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Sometimes I also relate a purchase to a bill. Like, the new Polly Pocket set DD really wants equals more than what our phone bill for the month is! It's pretty eye opening when you relate things that way, too, and it definitely makes you stop and think.

I have a hard time with extravagances. I think to myself, "wow, wouldn't it be nice to have a nicer, newer car?" but then I realize that that new car is still only going to take me from A to B, just like my old, paid for car, and it's not going to do anything differently or better than my old car so therefore it's an extravagance that I don't need.

For me, it's a very personal thing. I am really a "plain Jane" kind of girl. I don't understand or get the mentality of Buy More, Buy Bigger, Buy Better. That definitely helps live a frugal life.
tiptoetulip
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Health, Wellness & Fitness