Advertising Opportunities   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Pneumonia in a 5 year old?--treatment suggestions?

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, kattnipp, Glowingtouch

Pneumonia in a 5 year old?--treatment suggestions?

Postby girlie on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 pm

6 days of high fevers, and many doctor's visits and finally tonight we found out it's pneumonia in our 5 year old. This is scary for me to watch her suffer; as she vomited her antiobiotic by coughing and gasping for air tonight. She has a loose tummy now, fever 100+, sore throat, and she's very tired. We were ready to take her to the emerg tonight; and called on-call doctor who suggested if she is sleeping and breathing o.k....wait till the morning to see her doctor. So I'm praying her breathing will be calm tonight; and I can finally get some sleep; after 6 days with 13 hours sleep!!!--Yikes!

What treatment is good in getting rid of pneumonia in children?---What did you do to get your child/self better?--What was the name of antibiotics you had?

Thanks and please send your prayers this way for a healthy and fast recovery for my sick child!! :)
girlie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Pneumonia in a 5 year old?--treatment suggestions?

Postby renita on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:09 am

Unfortunatley, I do not remember the name of the antibiotics we were prescribed. However my dd had pneumonia awhile ago and it lasted forever. It is really scary at times but hang in there she will be ok. I bought meal replacement drinks, as my dd would not eat. These helped bring colour back in her face and her strength up again. Also, I used a humidifier in her room and rubbed her down with Vicks Vapo Rub as it helped her breath a bit better. Did you get prescribed or given an inhaler. It seemed to have really helped my dd. You may want to ask about it if you weren't.
Hope this is a bit helpful....and hope she is better soon.
the way we choose to see life creates the world we see
renita
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Keely on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 am

I"m sorry, I don't have any advice on the treatment of pnemonia or anything but I couldn't read this and not comment. I hope your dd had a better night and slept through and is on the way to improving today. Healing thoughts and vibes are sent her way.
Keely
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby tinkerbelle on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:08 am

No suggestions here either but I do hope she had a good restful night. This must be really hard on you too.
I own the naughty mat ;)
tinkerbelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kimmom on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:24 am

Sorry you are going through this!! Some of my kids have had pneumonia.. My 2 year old had it on her 2nd bday and also had it at 3 months old. My 5year old had it on her 2nd birthday at at 13 months old. My baby had it at 8 months in one lung. Lets see if I can remember what we did. I her you on the lack of sleep!! My kids have asthma so are more prone to getting pneumonia! My oldest has a penicillin allergy so she was put on Biaxin, an EXPENSIVE non penicillin drug. My baby was put on Erythromycin for 10 days. My 2 year old took a penicillin drug as she is OK with them. What got us through was our nebulizer for their asthma meds, we were running it every four hours day and night, that is what kept them out of the hospital for sure!! I also used homeopathic treatments to shorten the length of the bug but i still used the antibiotics because they need to breath!! Good luck with it, just watch her closely, and try to get some rest yourself too!
kimmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby scottish phantom on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:06 am

one of my daughters is allergic to pennicilin so had to have Biaxin and it works wonderfully. Not hard on the stomach either so they should be able to keep it down. Follow what the doc's tell you to do and make sure you get enough sleep to keep yourself from getting run-down.
If I am going to be unique, I am going to be unique with flair.

*2 girls on life support ,1 beautiful teenager , 1 mom & 1 sexy cowboy/husband = 1 happy family:) *
scottish phantom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby girlie on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am

Thanks for all your healing power, and thoughts!!!
We are having a great morning, and last night we got 5 hours sleep...much better. This morning the fever broke!! I felt the tears running down my tired face...so relieved she has a normal temperature now! We wil be seeing the doctor for a check-up today and we will check out if she needs other med's.....thanks for all your advice kiv! Keep you posted later, Enjoy the sunshine and stay healthy! Girlie. :-D
girlie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Alyrra's Mom on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 am

Might be too late now, but when my daughter has it (she's had it three time in 5 years) We elevate her upper torso to sleep either by using a couple of pillows or we let her sleep in the recliner to help with her breathing at night. I believe she was put on the zitro something or rather but it worked quite quickly!
Alyrra's Mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café KIV