Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Potty Training - Panty Liners?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Potty Training - Panty Liners?

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 pm

DS is at that stage of potty training where he is fine with peeing in the potty if he has underwear or a naked bum. Unfortunately he hasn't figured out the pooping yet to know when it is happening.

Therefore we have had a few issues with poop on the floor or in underwear and we have been keeping him out of areas like the playroom to risk the poop all over the floor. I was thinking of those Kushies flushable liners that they have for diapers but I used them with DD and they are so huge and they don't stay.

Anyway I was talking to a friend today about potty training and I said that I was going to buy some panty liners thinking of the Kushies and she said "oh the kind we use?"

Then I thought why not? They are thin, small, cheap and they stick so they would stay. So wondering if anyone else had thought of using them or tried them? I am thinking just in the bum area to prevent ruining the underwear. I know they aren't flushable.

Re: Potty Training - Panty Liners?

Postby myboy on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:23 am

Actually I was having the pooing issue at my house too. My sister in law say go naked from the waiste down while in the house. Now, I thought this was just wrong, but after cleaning underwear I was prepared to do anything. The first day I did it, he went and used the toilet to poo. If he has no bottoms on he uses the toilet to poo. I figure if I do this for a while he will just get the idea and when bottoms are on will just take to it. Now I can still have accidents but he did start taking his pants and underwear off to use the toilet. So if your liners don't work for you, you could try the naked from the waiste down, it worked for me.
myboy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby myboy on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am

It must be morning, I see you did try that. I suppose I should pay more attention to what I am reading. Does yours show any signs that he is going to go poo? Mine use to bed over and say "there's a bug". Or bend over a table or something. If you can catch them before they finish and finish on the toilet you might get better luck with the bottomless way. I also found mine was just too busy doing something else than to go to the toilet. I did make him clean up his own messes though. I was not going to do it, he knew when he had to go. Told him he would have had more time to play if he would have just used the toilet first instead of going through all the clean up. Oh, and if he was watching TV, I told him I would pause the show so he wouldn't miss anything while he went to the toilet.
I hope you don't mind the advice sort of, you probably have heard it all. I know boys take longer. I am still waiting for mine to be completely done, and he starts preshool here in a couple of months and has to be trained.
myboy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:52 pm

myboy wrote:Actually I was having the pooing issue at my house too. My sister in law say go naked from the waiste down while in the house. Now, I thought this was just wrong, but after cleaning underwear I was prepared to do anything. The first day I did it, he went and used the toilet to poo. If he has no bottoms on he uses the toilet to poo. I figure if I do this for a while he will just get the idea and when bottoms are on will just take to it. Now I can still have accidents but he did start taking his pants and underwear off to use the toilet. So if your liners don't work for you, you could try the naked from the waiste down, it worked for me.

Yes, when he is naked he poops on the floor and doesn't even notice he is doing it so that is the issue. DD thought Poop was the same as pee so she would say "I'm peeing mommy" and was having a poop on the potty but that worked great.

I think with DS he has to have a little wet on his underwear before he notices the pee.

I have carpets though and would rather him wear the underwear (hence the liners). I mean I did cloth diapers for ages but for some reason poop in underwear is a lot more difficult to clean. :shock:

Postby luckymamato2 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:28 pm

I think the pantyliners idea is a great idea, easier to just be able to take off the liner than to have to try and rinse the undies off (my least favourite thing to do! haha) I can tell when my son has to go, so I think for next time I will give that a try!
luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting