Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

Family Resource Guide 2014/15

Read Now >>
KIV Community

Rant - Costco Speedo bathing suits

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Rant - Costco Speedo bathing suits

Postby Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 am

So for years I have bought my DD's bathing suits at either Gymboree on sale or Wal-mart. Last year we decided to buy the Costco Speedo one because I though Speedo was suppose to be a good brand.

The bathing suit started to wear out quickly and it was SO small for a size 8.

So crazy me I decided to try again this year. We got DD a size 10 one piece black with pink stripes. After about 4 times wearing it the black of the bathing suit is now just covered in white flecks and has a weird stretch to it. It is like all the elastic has broken into white flecks.

Now the Juan de Fuca is salt so that maybe it but seriously why have a bathing suit where the fabric can't hold up in salt water?

I could understand if we dryed it in the dryer but we have only ever washed it in a front loader on delicate and hung to dry like I have with the tons of other bathing suits I have had for DD and myself over the past many years.

With the Gymboree or even Wal-mart bathing suits they have gone through 3 girls and are still in decent shape, not to mention in those days I also used to dry them in the dryer.

Re: Rant - Costco Speedo bathing suits

Postby mom³ on Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Take it back. Its Costco, you don't even need a receipt, just the membership card with which you bought the item. Annoying, yes, but nice to even have the option of just taking it back, no questions asked.
mom³
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm

mom³ wrote:Take it back. Its Costco, you don't even need a receipt, just the membership card with which you bought the item. Annoying, yes, but nice to even have the option of just taking it back, no questions asked.

Oh really? I thought I had to have the receipt? I always keep the receipts for the big items but never thought for a bathing suit.

Thanks.

Postby mom³ on Sun May 29, 2011 5:34 pm

L2K wrote:Oh really? I thought I had to have the receipt? I always keep the receipts for the big items but never thought for a bathing suit.

I know, ppl think they need the receipt but your membership record (on their computers) is your receipt. Friend of mine had bought a Canon Digital Rebel three years prior at Costco, something went wrong with it, she was lamenting the fact and I jokingly said to take it back... so next time she was there, she took it with her and long story short, she ended up with the newest model (three plus years newer) but she could have just gotten her money back (which she probably should have since it dropped in price so much since her initial purchase).

I know people hate the 'big box stores' and buy local, yadda yadda... and I applaud that too, but honestly, it is hard to beat Costco's return/satisfaction policy, not to mention their employment standards and benefits. Ever notice how you recognize the same employees there years later?
mom³
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Brenda N on Sun May 29, 2011 5:36 pm

This policy may have changed. Last time I tried to return something (earlier this year) a receipt was required. Luckily I was able to find it....
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)
Click Here to See More

Click here to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mom³ on Sun May 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Brenda N wrote:This policy may have changed. Last time I tried to return something (earlier this year) a receipt was required. Luckily I was able to find it....

Whoa, hope not Brenda N! What type of product were you returning? I've returned a few things over the years, most recently about six months ago, and never needed a receipt, just my membership card. In fact, once I'm outside the building, I chuck my receipt knowing I don't need it.... guess I should stop doing that! Maybe they have trouble with some types of products being returned...?
mom³
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Brenda N on Sun May 29, 2011 5:54 pm

One was a GPS - but that was almost two years ago. Most recently it was a book - that was in January - just after Christmas when dh and I had both bought the same book at different stores for his sister.

Maybe it depends upon who the clerk is.

Regardless, it only makes sense to try to return them - even without the receipt.
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)
Click Here to See More

Click here to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Sun May 29, 2011 6:25 pm

We have purchased "Lands End" bathing suits for the last 2 years. They have held up wonderfully and we go weekly to JDF.
They have free shipping if you orders Lands End products through Sears.
We also purchased the bathing suit soaking solution (which you can purchase at the Swimco Store at Mayfair).
The suits have held their shape, sizes are accurate and the colours do not fade until the suit has been used for about a year.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks. I will try. As the bathing suit is actually defective and it is this years model due to the colour and every year has a different colour hopefully they will at least give me credit for it.

I just expected more out of Speedo being a well known brand name.

Postby milkweed on Sun May 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi (: My sister went swimming at Esquimalt Pool with her kiddies and was wearing her new $150 bathing suit from SwimCo at Mayfair. After being in the pool for an hour, they left, and she rinsed the suit in the sink. She noticed the colour had faded dramatically and the elastic had changed the shape of the suit. It was the water in the pool. She told the ladies at the front desk and showed them her suit. They reimbursed her the full amount for the bathing suit.
Sometimes the problem isn't the bathing suit but where you are swimming. Good Luck with your return! :)
milkweed
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lady_arianna on Sun May 29, 2011 8:28 pm

there is bathing suits that are made for the chemicals in a pool... i have had the same speedo bathing suit for the last 5 years, and still looks brand new
"i have already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts"
lady_arianna
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 6:01 am

milkweed wrote:Hi (: My sister went swimming at Esquimalt Pool with her kiddies and was wearing her new $150 bathing suit from SwimCo at Mayfair. After being in the pool for an hour, they left, and she rinsed the suit in the sink. She noticed the colour had faded dramatically and the elastic had changed the shape of the suit. It was the water in the pool. She told the ladies at the front desk and showed them her suit. They reimbursed her the full amount for the bathing suit.
Sometimes the problem isn't the bathing suit but where you are swimming. Good Luck with your return! :)

It was only 3 times at Juan de Fuca which uses a salt solution instead of chlorine. However what is the point of a swimsuit not designed for pool use? Also seawater is more salty.

There is also the fact that in 7 years of Kids bathing suits this is the only brand I have ever had issues with.

Postby mom³ on Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 am

milkweed wrote:She told the ladies at the front desk and showed them her suit. They reimbursed her the full amount for the bathing suit.

Wait... Esquimalt Rec reimbursed her?! Did she have her receipt with her? Isn't it 'swim at own risk' kinda thing? That's amazing of Esquimalt Rec but also an awful precedent to set.
mom³
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby rosamond on Mon May 30, 2011 9:25 am

milkweed wrote:Hi (: My sister went swimming at Esquimalt Pool with her kiddies and was wearing her new $150 bathing suit from SwimCo at Mayfair. After being in the pool for an hour, they left, and she rinsed the suit in the sink. She noticed the colour had faded dramatically and the elastic had changed the shape of the suit. It was the water in the pool. She told the ladies at the front desk and showed them her suit. They reimbursed her the full amount for the bathing suit.

Until recently, Esquimalt Rec was salt water as well...now it is a mixture with chlorine. We swim there 1-2 times per week and our suits are great. I wonder if you sister's suit was more of a "fashion" suit than a practical swim suit because you would hope that a suit costing $150 would hold up at a pool. I would have been more inclined to complain to the swim store/manufacturer than the pool. But maybe it was when they were adding the chlorine and the concentration was too high? Only reason I would think they would take responsibility.
rosamond
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby beany on Mon May 30, 2011 2:50 pm

I was there today and they were looking up someones purchase for her. She did not have a reciept.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Rants & Raves