Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Installing a ceiling fan

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Installing a ceiling fan

Postby donbrown51 on Mon May 30, 2011 9:05 am

I have a ceiling fan I need installed. Does anyone know of a resonably priced electrician that can do this for me?
donbrown51
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Installing a ceiling fan

Postby Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

Do you need to put in the fixture or is there already a light there now?

If there is already a light fixture, you don't need an electrician. It is pretty simple to install the fan yourself.

For me I always would upgrade the outlet boxes to the metal ones but you don't even need to do that if the fan is 20lbs or less.

Just make sure you kill the breaker before you take down the light.

Postby donbrown51 on Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 am

Yes there is a light fixture there already. The fan itself is quite heavy.
donbrown51
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 am

donbrown51 wrote:Yes there is a light fixture there already. The fan itself is quite heavy.

Most fans are heavy although it depends on the age of the fixture outlet. I used to always replace the outlets with the metal instead of the plastic. However, then an electrician told me that the outlet boxes are actually designed to hold fans so there isn't an issue.

Hooking a fan up is pretty easy. You can get any handyman to do it if you don't feel comfortable.

It is the same as replacing a light fixture. Turn off the breaker. Unscrew the current fixture. Identify the Black the hot (red or white) and the ground (green or gold metal).

I always had access to the crawlspace so I could thread up the safety wire to screw into a joist.

Postby gill846 on Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am

If you're doing it by yourself and it's heavy, twist a wire hanger so that you can attach it to a secure hard point inside the fixture if possible. Trying to attach three separate wires while holding up the fan is not fun. Having one person hold the fan while the other wires will ruin any good marriage :) Alternately, if you have two ladders, or two sawhorses on top of a table, use a piece of plywood to make a stand to put it on. Basically, have a plan for how you are going to hold the sucker up BEFORE you start!
gill846
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café KIV