Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us
Log In / Register


KIV Community

BC Hydro peak times??

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

 

BC Hydro peak times??

Postby Nola on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:27 pm

I thought there were different charges for using hydro during certain hours?
For example, charges are higher during peak hours?

Went the BC Hydro site and could not find anything :-k
Does anybody know??

We are wanting to evaluate our current usage and reduce use (cost) where possible, but difficult to do when I can't find the info.

Am I dreaming this up?? :lol:

Thank you!!
User avatar
Nola
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:58 pm
Location: in my happy place....
Region:

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby JayZee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:35 pm

BC hydro does not use "Peak Hr charges" (at least not in Victoria & area) we are on the 2 tier system.
From BC hydro

Residential Conservation Rate

Under the Residential Conservation Rate, customers pay 6.67 cents per kWh for the first 1,350 kWh they use over an average two-month billing period. Above that amount, customers pay 9.62 cents per kWh for the balance of the electricity used during the billing period. This rate structure is designed to encourage conservation and is referred to as a "stepped rate". The first portion is called Step 1 and the amount above that is called Step 2.

http://www.bchydro.com/youraccount/cont ... _rates.jsp

And to compare here is a link to ON Hydro rates...
http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php? ... rent_rates
Last edited by JayZee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JayZee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Langford
Region:

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby Nola on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm

JayZee wrote:BC hydro does not use "Peak Hr charges" (at least not in Victoria & area) we are on the 2 tier system.
From BC hydro

Residential Conservation Rate

Under the Residential Conservation Rate, customers pay 6.67 cents per kWh for the first 1,350 kWh they use over an average two-month billing period. Above that amount, customers pay 9.62 cents per kWh for the balance of the electricity used during the billing period. This rate structure is designed to encourage conservation and is referred to as a "stepped rate". The first portion is called Step 1 and the amount above that is called Step 2.

http://www.bchydro.com/youraccount/cont ... _rates.jsp


OH I was dreaming it then :lol: :lol:
Thank you for clarifying :D :D
User avatar
Nola
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:58 pm
Location: in my happy place....
Region:

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby quackers on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:26 pm

No they dont...YET!
Funny, because I have made the prediction after everybody has a smart meter, that they will start to charge more during "peak hours". I guess we will see.
WARNING:
If I am found vague, listless, or agitated. ADMINISTER CHOCOLATE IMMEDIATELY
User avatar
quackers
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 am

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby Peter on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Time of use billing is part of the billing plan. When they first started installing smart meters they continually told the public that they were not considering time of use billing at this time. They didn't say they weren't planning on doing because it's been part of their business plan all along. It's all about PR.
Peter
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby vj on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 am

I called BC Hydro and asked about it. They said that don't use it; hoevewer, in the future they maybe be charging us for using more for different times.

Welcome to the Smart Meters. I think it is only matter of time and they are going to charge us more when we use electricity in pick times.
vj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby secretgarden on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 am

vj wrote:I called BC Hydro and asked about it. They said that don't use it; hoevewer, in the future they maybe be charging us for using more for different times.

Welcome to the Smart Meters. I think it is only matter of time and they are going to charge us more when we use electricity in pick times.


But on the flip side of that, if you can avoid using extra Hydro during those peak times and be able to do laundry for instance during the nonpeak times you will be saving $$$.
User avatar
secretgarden
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:42 am

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby TazDevil on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:18 pm

The other question is "who" gets to pick the "peak times".

In reality business use FAR more electricity than residents. The electricity drain on the actual Hydro Grid would therefore be far more during Office Hours when Skyrises are being powered with computers, photocopiers, lights, heat etc. That should be considered Peak Time because of the usage demand.

However, you can bet that as Residents have always subsidized business, Hydro will consider "Peak Times" evenings and weekends when residents use more personal electricity because then they will be the ones hung out to dry to pay for all these smart meters no one wanted.
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. ― Albert Einstein
User avatar
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 am

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby vj on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 pm

TazDevil wrote:The other question is "who" gets to pick the "peak times".

In reality business use FAR more electricity than residents. The electricity drain on the actual Hydro Grid would therefore be far more during Office Hours when Skyrises are being powered with computers, photocopiers, lights, heat etc. That should be considered Peak Time because of the usage demand.

However, you can bet that as Residents have always subsidized business, Hydro will consider "Peak Times" evenings and weekends when residents use more personal electricity because then they will be the ones hung out to dry to pay for all these smart meters no one wanted.


This is exaclty what will happen.
Whey will say that the pick time is from 4 pm to 8pm (when you come from work and cook dinner and try to do some laundry) and on the weekend when you are cleaning and doing other things that you can't do during the week.
vj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: BC Hydro peak times??

Postby JayZee on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm

This is the info for Rates in ON...gives you an idea of when the Peek and low rate times are....And I would imagine if they started this here how it would look.....
For residential customers
http://www.hydroone.com/TOU/Documents/T ... 11_ENG.pdf
User avatar
JayZee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Langford
Region:


 

Return to Café KIV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 209 guests



Fun Birthday Party Magic Show!
Amazing magic, balloon creations, hilarious comedy, audience involvement, birthday child can float!
www.donalddunphy.com/birthdays.html
Miniature World
Expansion complete! King Arthur's "Camelot" is now open! 11 new themed exhibits! Hours 9A.M. - 9P.M.
www.miniatureworld.com
Newsletter Signup

Sign up now to start receiving the KIV Newsletter. It only takes a minute.

Sign up now...

Contest

Excellent Prizes!

Enter now for your chance to win some exciting prizes in our Kids in Victoria & Island Parent Contest! We have new contests often, so check back regularly!

Contest



Site Sponsors
Island Parent Saanich Recreation
About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | FAQ | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Tell a Friend | Link Exchange | Help
© 2014. Island Parent Group. All Rights Reserved. Auto Login: Off