Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

unathorized dental work??

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

unathorized dental work??

Postby dawnlee on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 am

So i went into the dentist yesterday and had a quote of what was to be done, while im in the chair, awake, only frozen he says lets do this work now since we are in the area and frozen, so they do up a new quote and i agree. Well I finish the appointment and they say well we had to do some more work! like a 1000.00 dollars worth of extra work!! :eek: :eek: So they do a quote for a couple hundred dollars but say nothing about the expensive work?!! i never authorized it and was not told about it till it was done.

Anyone have any similar situations on how they handled it or what I can do? I have emialed them today demanding answers, cause i cant talk cause my mouth is swollen shut! but not impressed with this dentist!
dawnlee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: unathorized dental work??

Postby quackers on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 am

When I was 16 I had this happen to me. My parents dropped me off for my 2fillings to be fixed, the came back an few hrs later.. After I woke up from anesthetic , to be shocked that he had taken every single mercury filling out and replaced it.. 2500 bill! I wonder if its the same dentist? He is still in practice, off the pat bay highway :/

My parents paid it.. But if it was me I wouldn't.
WARNING:
If I am found vague, listless, or agitated. ADMINISTER CHOCOLATE IMMEDIATELY
quackers
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby dawnlee on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am

just on quadra!
dawnlee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow, that sounds really, really unethical. I would definitely refuse to pay that and look into reporting them.

I just got back from the dentist also and can't decide if he's the quack or if my other dentist was. One of them is completely out to lunch though as what they have said is totally the opposite of each other. It makes me really leery.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I am not sure what you can do. That is very unethical of them. Do you have an insurance company you can contact? At the least I would contact the BBB.

My dentist recently retired and the people that took over the practice are the most unethical I have ever met. They told my sister she had cavities and she got one filled and then became suspicious and had a second opinion and found out that she never had cavities. My kids had just gone in and I was told they all had cavities too. When I heard about my sister I got a second opinion and low and behold they DID NOT HAVE CAVITIES! :shock: Luckily we didn't have any work done. Disgusting behaviour. I wish I could stand outside their office and warn people. Good luck OP it is really scary when you have to rely on some one's professionalism and they don't have any!
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:37 pm

So unethical. Please report the dentist to the Dental Association. I would also contact the dental office and notify them that you are filing a report with the Dental Association.
As to pp's who mentioned that dentists diagnosed caries and filled teeth that were healthy (no decay) this is horrendous. To damage a healthy tooth is totally unethical and will lead to weakness in the tooth over time. I would really encourage reporting the dentists to the Dental Assn.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby justabadday on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

This happened to my dh once.
He went in for some dental work, talked to the receptionist about getting a quote and double checked that it was covered. The receptionist said "yes", but told him she couldn't get him a quote until the work was done.

Then he went in for the work, came out after the appointment with a 1200$ bill and a flip reply from the receptionist "Oh your plan didn't cover that kind of work."

He talked to them about it and ended up paying only 700 (after countless phone calls ), but both of us never went there again and because both our families went there they lost about a dozen clients.

worth a read
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ation.html
justabadday
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby debbiel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm

I go to the ones at Colwood Dental (on Goldstream) and they are very good and have never tried to do any work that wasn't necessary.

I read a Readers Digest article exposing dentists years ago and was SHOCKED. They had a guy whose mouth was in tip-top shape travel across the country from coast to coast and you wouldn't believe all the wildly different quotes and stories he got. Some would say he has cavities in a, b and c teeth, then the next would say cavities in completely different teeth, etc. Some even wanted him to do crowns, etc. Not many said the same thing, and not many said no cavities (which was the actual case).

I was disgusted after reading the article because my dentist when I was a kid was always filling my teeth and I never had a toothache or anything like that (not that you need a toothache to have a cavity, but I just wonder now) - so I wonder now if he was just doing a bunch of unnecessary work on me because my parents both had good insurance coverage through their work. My daughter is 20 now and has never had a cavity. I've never had a cavity as an adult (different dentist now).

To the OP - I have never had a dentist do work without it being approved by me first. That is totally unacceptable IMO. I would not want to pay for that extra stuff I didn't agree to.
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby syla on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh yikes! With all the experiences and the articles shared above, I will definitely be worry about dental work now!
syla
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby debbiel on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm

syla wrote:Oh yikes! With all the experiences and the articles shared above, I will definitely be worry about dental work now!

That article was a real eye opener for me. I thought dentistry was a medical profession???? I shouldn't have to treat it like taking my car in to a garage (which Reader's Digest also did an article on where they took a car in perfect condition to several places across the country - oh boy!).

How can one dentist tell you you have cavities on these teeth, a different dentist say you have cavities on totally different teeth, and another dentist say you have no cavities? They are looking at the same set of Xrays. When you go to the doctor with a set of xrays one wouldn't tell you your right arm is broken while another says that your left arm is broken.
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby syla on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 pm

^oh boy, thanks for understanding what I was trying to say "I will definitely be worry about dental work now!" sigh. I definitely worry about my mind sometimes.

I sadly think that the title professional does not have as much bearing as it once did, or should have been.
syla
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby 2plus2 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I was frustrated with my office the recently after my appointment I asked if I owed them anything, "No, it's all covered." A few weeks later I got an invoice in the mail "to be paid immediately."

Write them to ensure you have a paper trail. Give them an opportunity to respond. Based on their response, consider reporting them. Good luck!!

Dental Offices seem to be getting "sketchy" these days. They used to provide health care but now, often (but not always), are all about business and make $$$. A previous clinic DH and I went to told us that we needs in/onlays for multiple teeth and some other work that would be $10,000+. We have been checking out other offices since that experience and we have never heard that again.
2plus2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Rants & Raves