Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

Family Resource Guide 2014/15

Read Now >>
KIV Community

That is Crazy!!!!

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

That is Crazy!!!!

Postby Linda Faye on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 pm

We are a family of 5 and we love the outdoors!! I just priced what it will cost us to go to Butchart Gardens to take the kids skating... and I just about fell off my chair!!
It is going to cost us $59.50 and that dosen't include me going out on the ice!! :shock:
It is a sin cause at those prices will can not afford to take the children skating there and let them experince what it is like to go skating outside and walk around and look at all the pretty lights!! :(
Yes they can go to an indoor arena and that is where we take them... but it would have been nice for them to try skating outside.(something Different)
Why do they charge insane prices... I know for a family like ours(5 people) it cost way to much for us to do something like this and its our kids that loose out in the end :cry:

Who else agrees that the prices are crazy!!

It is just so upsetting
Linda Faye
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Jacqueline on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:09 pm

um that is nuts... geez.. an outdoor skating rink should be free and the city should pay for it or something.. i mean.. come on.... thats nuts... i could NEVER afford to go there, the way my life is.
Jacqueline
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:56 pm

this is the whole reason my hubby and i have never gone there the price is just slightly insane!! sure.. it costs them money to run the place but i think if prices were lower more people would show up!!
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Yvonne A on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:55 pm

If you ever went you would see how crowded it is! They don't need to lower prices to get people in - they already are very busy.

Not saying that I agree with their prices - they are expensive. But people are willing to pay it.
Yvonne A
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sbenny on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:28 pm

I agree that the price can be a bit of a shock and it's unfortunate that not all families can afford it but personally I think that it is well worth it. It is one of the highlights of Christmas in Victoria. To put it in perspective, it would be near impossible to go out for a movie night with a family of 5 for under $59.50.

You've got to remember that it is a very expensive place to run. They have over 500 employees, the cost of the plant material and day-to-day maintenance of the gardens is huge, plus there is the additional costs of entertainment, the ice rink etc.

You can buy a season's pass for $39.00 (minus the cost of admission - it would be an additional $21.00 right now) that is good for a year. A very, very good deal for someone who plans to visit 2-3 times a year. Plus if you compare the cost of admission to other attractions I think you'll find that you are getting a good deal for your money.

In response to Jaqueline - the outdoor skating rink is on the Gardens property which is privately owned. They get no support from the city & need to charge a skating fee in order to help cover costs of the rink. And some of the $ from the skating fee is going to the Cridge Centre.

Well, that's my two cents!
Sara
sbenny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Linda Faye on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:37 pm

Well this is one family that won't be going there this year.. As my hubby has been cut back hours this time of year and we are bearly getting by :(

I understand that they have many people working there and it does cost alot of money to keep the place running... bUt it's still upsetting!!

My children will just have to wait till next year as we are heading back east for Christmas... As my family is paying for part of our way. the kids can go skating there... The out door rinks are free!! And there is no time limit to how long you can be on the ice either
Linda Faye
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 pm

I'm sorry you had you were so looking forward to this outing and have found it beyond your means.

Its not a surprising amount to me. Not that I can easily afford to do this with my family - just that it seems like a reasonable price considering what it must cost to produce and considering that you also get admission to the grounds. Since we don't get proper freezing temperatures here we can't easily have free outdoor skating rinks. As lovely as they sound - they just aren't practical in our weather. Here having an outdoor rink requires so much more prep and maintenance and staging so they are truly a luxury. Its one of the sacrifices we make for living on the West Coast and not having to shovel snow :D And i know that's often one of the things that's hard for Easterners to get used to when living here.

I remember as a child in Vancouver my father made a small rink in our back yard one day in the divot on the lawn where the pool sat in the summer. It was very cool! But I don't know how often we get cold enough weather here to do that. Has anyone ever tried this? Is this something that can be done here? Is there a way for Linda to build her own rink in her back yard? Although it would be without all the light display....
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)
Click Here to See More

Click here to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:45 pm

When I was younger...in Victoria, I might add :) ...My parents used to take us to whats called "Panama Flats"....here in Victoria 8) ..to outdoor Skate at no charge..It very often does get cold enough here..sometimes it is just later at night. :)

Unfortuantely, I cannot remember exactly where it is now.I think it might be somewhere "around" West saanich..but I could be wrong.

Perhaps another KIV..er did this too and remembers or knows where Panama Flats is. :)

Thank you and Have a Merry Christmas Everyone! :D

Postby brymommy on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:47 pm

I have a little bit of insite into the skating rink. No I don't work there but I was with family who knows someone high up there.

This is the first year of doing the skating rink. The needed to have underground plumbing and had to put that in this year. I can't remember what else was said but there were a few other first time costs that needed to be incured. And there were other logisitical problems that are still being figured out. I think it is a great thing and when i went there last night it was packed. I like going to the gardens and yes the year pass is a good idea. I usually go once a year but kick myself if i don't buy it and go twice.

Hopefully the prices will go down. I will nose around to see what i can find out. But really i don't think i would go skating there. I don't like skating outdoors and find the ice really roughed up. I would much rather go to a rink. and the rink is bigger. but it's nice to have it if you do want to go and for that i think it might be worth it!
<insert witty phrase here>
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Linda Faye on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Thanks everyone for all your input!!
I am going to have the hubby check in to the "Panama Flats." to see what he can find out about it.

I understand that It does coast money to run everything and pay the people that work there.
I was just shocked at the prices when I added it all up :shock:

I will let you all know if we find anything at Panama Flats!
Thanks for the info :)
Linda Faye
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks Linda Faye,
I would love to know if you find out where Panama Flats are..if and when you find out.
I agree with you on costs of Butcharts skating..and yes I too realize there are a lot of other costs involved too! However, as single parent , as alot on this site are..I too could bever afford it.
Take Care and Have a Merry Christmas :)

Postby mar on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Panama Flats = Blenkinsop Lake, doesn't it?

Found this online:

"Blenkinsop Lake – Panama Flats

Area boundaries:
North – Emily Carr Dr
West – Wilkinson Rd
South – TransCanada Highway, McKenzie Ave
East – Blenkinsop Rd"

Wow, that's a HUGE area.
mar

Postby Yvonne A on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 pm

I am pretty sure Panama Flats is the corner of Roy and Carey, on the right going up to Carey. I will check with my dad for sure, but he remember skating there occasionally. But a lot of the areas that were big open fields 30-40 years ago now have houses built on them - swamp land or not.
Yvonne A
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mar on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:29 pm

Yvonne, YES! There's that old "factory" looking building there on Carey and it has the sign "Panama Flats" right on it.
mar

Postby Yvonne A on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:37 pm

I think I will phone my dad just to confirm, but I was pretty sure that was it. My parent's first house was at the corner of Carey and Roy so I think that is how I remember.
Yvonne A
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Rants & Raves