Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Torn/pulled muscle from coughing?

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Torn/pulled muscle from coughing?

Postby Sue on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:16 am

Ouch - has anyone ever had this happen? It feels like someone is stabbing me in the side/back every time I cough, or even take a deep breath. The clinic dr. said yesterday that it is from the violent coughing - I dread coughing since it kills me :( I am on all of the good stuff - antibiotics, Tylenol Ultra, Buckley's cough syrup... Hoping that something kicks in soon - I have been up since 3:30 with the coughing :roll: Just wondering if the torn muscle is common - I have never heard of it before now?
"We do the best we can with what we
know, and when we know better, we do better."
Maya Angelou
Sue

Region:

Postby tracy on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:29 am

I have had that to with this flu, my rib cage is killing me. I have never had it like this before either, but here's hoping we both feel normal soon. Tracy
tracy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Katt on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:31 am

Ouch! I had double pneumonia last year at this time, and tore the muscle on my left side. It hurts like crazy! If you can, grab a pillow and give it a hug while leaning slightly forward into it when you have to cough. I slept in my recliner chair for about a week, being more upright helped. I also got some codeine cough syrup from my doctor, it's only for use at bedtime, and it mostly supressed the cough so I could actually get some healing sleep. If you don't want to go to the doctor again, ask the pharmacist and see if you can buy a codeine cough syrup from behind the counter. It's a lower strength, of course, but sometimes just that little bit will help. Feel better soon! (((Hugs)))
Katt
Katt
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:35 am

It is very common-the harsher the cough..or the worse the actual coughing spells..the more susceptable (sp?) you become...Especially with Bronchitis or Pneumonia, for instance.

Buckleys workas very well...but one with Codeine...such as Calmlyn thta you can get at the Pharmacy counter is very good...3% codeine..so make sure you do not have to drive or anything...although a smaller amount of codeine is used..is very effective in making you drowsy.
Shoppers has it and I found they have the lowest price as well :)

Hope this helps and that you are both feeling better soon :) ...horrible time of year to be sick. :(
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby LovingMama on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:36 am

Not to be negative, but when i was told that it turned out I had plursy which can be very painful in the same area, so if it doesnt get better soon i just thought i would put that out there. Hope your feeling better soon. And again im not trying to be negative.

Good Luck
LovingMama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby JMP on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:14 pm

I've just finished going through what you are Sue. My ribcage hurt so bad from coughing, I was sure that I had pneumonia. However, I was told the same thing...just due to lots and lots of coughing! We had a horrible cold that turned flu in our home...not fun!!
"Home is where they understand you"- Garfield
JMP
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Annikki on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:24 pm

I spent a month of going to the hospital and clinic and they kept telling me it's chest wall inflamation and that my lungs sound fine. Well after not sleeping and finally collapsing, my husband rushed me to the hospital at 3am to be told I had Kidney Stones and 10 hours later that no i didn't have kidney stones and they didn't know what was wrong with me to deciding they would try a chest xray. after 12 hours in emergency they discovered that I had pnemonia and Pleusy. I had had it for a month. I had Doctors yell at me telling me I'm wasting the governments $$. It was horrible and I now take my health in my hands and will demand a chest xray if i were to have those symptoms again. If it doesn't get better, demand an xray!
Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sue on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:01 pm

I expected a chest x-ray but he ruled out pleurisy just by listening and my description of where the pain was. I feel worse today (2nd day on antibiotics) - low fever, more wheezy, etc. :(
Maya Angelou
Sue

Region:

Postby Smiley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Sue,

If you can, have a visit with your chiropractor. You can pop out a rib or two by all the hard coughing. If you did, when they go back in you will notice you can breath much easier. Coming from experience, it is worth trying!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cheers
Crystall
Smiley
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby The mom on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:10 pm

I once had a cold for almost a month with lots of coughing. I remember like yesterday going to Mayfair Mall and standing in line at Taco Time and coughing and hearing and feeling a 'crunch'. It hurt SO bad. Apparently I popped my rib out of the cartilage!!

I just went on pain killers and finally an anti-biotic to get rid of the cold. It still clicks a little bit sometimes when I laugh really hard or vacuum :O)

I really hope you feel better, that sucks!!
The mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:13 am

Poor Sue, hope you feel better soon! :( My mom actually broke a rib from coughing so hard while having Bronchitis (sp?) Hope you are able to get some rest, let me know if I can help....CharleneK.
CharleneK
KIV Advertiser
KIV Advertiser

Region:

Postby Sue on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Hi Char - thanks for the offer... We are moved in with my mom and dad for this week - Warren gets home tomorrow night from Ottawa! Went to the clinic again today 'cause the pain is so bad - dr. was convinced my rib was broken so off to X-ray but nope, just really badly strained muscle from coughing - she gave me a T3 prescription so hope that will take the edge off?

Hope to be up and around soon!
Maya Angelou
Sue

Region:

Postby Slacker Mum on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Hope you feel better soon Sue! Sorry about the pulled muscle :(
Raising kids is part joy and part guerilla warfare.
Slacker Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jj on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:56 pm

Sue,
I had bad, continuous coughing about a month ago and the doctor diagnosed me with a form of asthma brought on by the cold. I've never had asthma before, but he did give me a puffer and made me do one dose before I would leave (went in for my kids and he checked me out instead). I guess he thought I would collapse in his chair. Anyway, it helped a million! Within minutes I didn't feel like I would cough a lung out. I used it only a few times, but it stopped the coughing and helped me heal.

Jane
Jane Johnston, M.Ed.
Licensed REALTOR
PEMBERTON HOLMES LTD. 250-744-0775
E-mail me at: briarhillgroup@gmail.com
Thanks to all you KIV moms who refer me!
http://www.briarhillgroup.com
jj
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby QT on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:37 am

Hi Sue- Just a Get Well Soon wish :)
QT
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café KIV