Advertise   |  Magazine   |  About Us   |  Where to Pick Up a Copy   |  Site News   |  FAQ   |  Contact Us

KIV Community

Do you spank?

Welcome to Café KIV, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are a KIV paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Do you spank?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Never
55%
Once or twice
23%
Infrequently
22%

Total votes : 65

Do you spank?

Postby ccc_cat on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:27 pm

So I have relative visiting me from out of country who was very surprised to hear that spanking is "not acceptable" here.

He insists there are times when kids do need a spanking.

So I am wondering how many people do, don't and have spanked.

And I hope everybody feels free to voice their opinion -but not to the point the thread gets deleted
ccc_cat
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby frasersmama on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:36 pm

I don't spank my dd because I think it sends an inappropriate message. We tell her that hitting is not ok, so why would it be ok to hit her, just because I am bigger and have more power? When we need to correct/discipline her behaviour, ie hitting, doing something unsafe after being warned. she gets a two minute time out in the corner and then we demand an apology, and that's that.
frasersmama

Postby Ginger Snap on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Well, DS is only 4 months old, so it is not something that we have had to deal with yet. But, it is something we have talked about alot. I don't have an issue with spanking in general, just don't know if I would personally spank. I can have a quick temper, and I just would hate to ever spank while angry. I think that would send the wrong message.

My parents used to spank, and they would never do it on the spur of the moment. They would always send me to my room, tell me to wait there, and come in about 30 minutes later to do the deed. Seriously, the waiting in my room was the punishment, not the few spanks. I always knew the difference between when my parents would spank me, and hitting someone out of anger. I never grew up thinking it was OK to hit, just because I was spanked. It did teach me that when I disobeyed them, they meant business.

These are just my personal experiences with spanking.

But hopefully DS will be an angel and we won't ever have to worry about punishing him... :wink: Yeah, right!
Ginger Snap
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby alwaysbusy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:30 pm

When my children were born I thought of the fact that they would probably be going to daycare when they got older. I chose to use other ways of discipline so that when daycare or school came along they were used of the alternative discipline.
alwaysbusy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Annikki on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:51 pm

We do not spank, but we are also armed with many alternatives due to the fields we work in. I feel that spanking doesn't create a learning opportunity. I aim for natural and logical consequences and then time out if needed. I also give lots of choices and work on enpowering our child.
Annikki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby barb on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:08 pm

I do not spank my children however I wonder sometimes if that is the reason god put extra padding there??!!

I don't think I will ever spank my kids (I never say never anymore since becoming a parent!), because I have alternatives that work very effectively with my oldest. My youngest is a little young yet to completely understand things but he is catching on very quickly.

barb
barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Wee~Bea on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:58 pm

I don't, but god sometimes I wish I did... :lol:

No, I don't really like the idea of spanking. My parents were big time spankers and I was acctually pretty scared of my parents growing up.
Now, my kids, on the other hand...sigh, are NOT scared of me. My oldest and youngest listen pretty good, and it is really easy to explain things to them - and they are both pretty good natured. My middle child, how typical really, is "spirited" to say the least and she does not listen at all. I have been around children my whole life, and I tell you I never felt angry or frusterated before (I have a really really high patience level normally) but my "wee~bea" (who my post name is so affectionatly drawn from) takes me to the point of insanity. I have never felt an urge to spank until her. I acctually tried spanking her, and she kicked me in the jaw (and spun my head). Has anyone else had a "wild child"? What do you do to get them to listen?
“While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”
Wee~Bea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby alwaysbusy on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:43 am

Oh I can relate!! I wouldn't call my child a wild child... However she has a very different personality than my son. I could give a choice of Milk or water and my son would choose. My daughter would say " I want juice".
That is when I found out my daughter is very stubborn. I have learned to give her lots of choices. If she insists on her own choice I continue to tell her her choices once again. If she continues crying or demanding her choice I put her in timeout. Both my children do not like timeout. Overall they listen pretty good. My daughter even surprises me and cleans up all her toys in the playroom. Every once in a while she will test me.
alwaysbusy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Yes - sometimes

Postby madmeg on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:36 am

I do believe it is appropriate sometimes. When I have done it, it has been no more than three spanks to the backside. And I try to always ask myself, does this occasion fit our guidelines, or have I had enough/run out of options. If it is the latter, I take a time out.

My guidelines are if she is doing something dangerous to herself or her sister, and she is not listening/controllable. The spank is essentially to catch her attention/reinforce the seriousness.

For those that so spank, and who have not read the disciple section of "Toddlers Best Steps" (I got it from my doctor), I recommend you get it and take a read.
madmeg
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MELANIE on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:50 am

I dont spank....for me i feel it shows the child to hit.. and makes them feel low...i choose.. talking at eye level.. and making sense so my son understands..
whatever i have done works.. my oldest is 11.. and yes he has pre teen moodiness but what a great kid he is..
as a species we;re fundamentally insane. put more than two of us in a room ,we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another.why do you think we invented politics and reliogion

--steven king--
MELANIE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Wee~Bea on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:09 am

I think kids hit anyways. I mean we don't spank and our middle child is a slugger/slapper/kicker/biter. I think it is a human instinct to hit, and in our animal nature. However as human adult we have (hopefully)developed reasoning, empathy and the ability to use our words instead of our fists. I get down and talk eye level with my middle child, and she could care less. I think there are different parenting styles & solutions for everyone, and every child is so unique in temperment you cannot really come up with one method for parenting. When I watched Nanny McPhee, I was like damn sprinkle a few more kids in there and you have our house...I need a Nanny McPhee!!!

I don't think spanking a child makes them more prone to violence, if anything I think it makes them more vulnerable to abuse. My parents were still using "spanking" (more like slapping/punching or the dreaded spoon) until I was 18 and moved out - then I allowed my husband at the time to do it because, heh - it's "normal". But having been a "spanked" child, I am LESS prone to be violent. I am sure some go on to be the "spankees" however.

I just don't spank because it doesn't feel right with me, and I feel it comes out of anger (like our fight or flight is triggered - because my anxiety is sky high when my Bea goes banannas) rather than a solid method of "dicipline".
I rambled all over the place with this post - hope it makes sense.
“While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”
Wee~Bea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Harmony on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:32 am

:)
Last edited by Harmony on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harmony

spanking

Postby leemom on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:52 am

I can relate to you Wea Bea, I've got a "spirirted child" to. Man can he test my patience, Nothing is ever easy or simple with him, if he had been my first he'd be an only child. As tempting as its been I haven't spanked, but now that he's 3 and can better understand consiquences I've found taking things away, like favorite toy, no T.V, etc works best. Timeouts never worked, if I could get him to stay in them at all :roll:
leemom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Max on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:08 am

I want to say I don't, but I have. Generally it's timeouts or natural consequences, but on occasion I have issued a short, quick swat on the butt. And it's whenever they are going to seriously hurt themselves, or their brother or sister, and I've already warned them a few times. It's more of a 'smarten up' reminder, than a punishment. I would say my boys have probably each had a swat maybe 2-3 times in almost 4 years, and are probably in a timeout at least once a day.
Max
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby QT on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:33 am

I don't- my ds is 3 now, and is stubborn..... :evil: but, also sensative.
If I have to get a message across, my intent toward him is firm,
and that is something he understands.
Some behaviour is simply non-negotiable.
So is my respect for his physical self.
Having me be angry about hazardous behaviour is enough.
He understands- it just takes patience and time to communicate.

However, Max, I agee that a 'reminder' is acceptable as a last resort-
I won't rule it out if I have to prevent a serious hazard.
QT
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café KIV